• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory Scores Aweful

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bbuster

Registered
Ok, I need some help guys. I've just built a new pc with the following:
Athlon 64 3500
MSI K8T800 Mobo
2GB of OCZ RAM with timings 2-3-2-6 (i think)
WD raptor HDD

Ok now the problem. Sandra's memory bandwidth benchmark scores around 2 thousand and something. That's aweful. What's going on here? Is there something in the bios that I don't know about? Help me! I'll get you an exact score and post it tonight. (I'm at work right now)

Ironically, "aweful" suggests that you are full of awe, and that your memory scores are amazing. I take it that's not the case. :)

I'm not a huge A64 guru, but I know that 1T vs. 2T makes a significant difference. What is your memory speed currently at? Are you overclocked at all? I expect that with a memory density that high you're going to have to run 2T, so that hurts you a fair amount right there.

Do you have the most recent chipset drivers installed? Are you running anything else while you bench with Sandra?

bbuster said:
Ok, I need some help guys. I've just built a new pc with the following:
Athlon 64 3500
MSI K8T800 Mobo
2GB of OCZ RAM with timings 2-3-2-6 (i think)
WD raptor HDD

Ok now the problem. Sandra's memory bandwidth benchmark scores around 2 thousand and something. That's aweful. What's going on here? Is there something in the bios that I don't know about? Help me! I'll get you an exact score and post it tonight. (I'm at work right now)

are you sure that DC is enabled? as well what are your memory scores? and what combination of ram sticks are you using(4x512, or 2x1gig)

Ok, I'm here working on it now. It's giving me 2200 MB/s roughly and just won't do. I do not have 1T enabled, but if I do enable it lowers performance. MSI's manual tells me that if both mem modules are double sided and 400mhz then I should install them in slots 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 for best performance. Well slots 1 and 2 are channel A and slots 3 and 4 are channel B. Does this mean I shouldn't install them in dual channel mode? And for some reason my memory is only clocking in a 340+ Mhz 167x2 or something like that...how do i adjust the memory speed independant of the processor? I had to overclock the processor to get it that high.

A few more notes...should these have been registered memory modules? It is two 1 Gig sticks of OCZ 400Mhz sold as a dual channel pack. Really my first issue is getting the system memory controller to run them at 400 Mhz. I can't just overclock the processor to 3 GHz to have them run at the speed they're supposed to!

Now this is getting interesting. I reset the CMOS and just put in one stick and it set it to 200x2 = 400 Mhz...like it should be...WTF is causing this??

bbuster said:
A few more notes...should these have been registered memory modules? It is two 1 Gig sticks of OCZ 400Mhz sold as a dual channel pack. Really my first issue is getting the system memory controller to run them at 400 Mhz. I can't just overclock the processor to 3 GHz to have them run at the speed they're supposed to!

there should be an opion in bios called"maximun mem clock, r something similar, try putin this to 200, or 1:1. try your ram in slots 1 and 2, and 1 and 3, and check using CPU-Z under the mem tab if your in DC or not.(im calling slot 1, closest to teh CPU)

also because you have a s-939 board you dont need regustered ram.

Got it fixed. After I put in the one, I put the other stick in slot 3 and now they are both running happily @ 400Mhz and now my Sandra scores are 4800+ M/B per second. How bout dem apples? Looks like it was a case of RTFM on my part. Sorry guys. I appreciate the insight though and I know more today than I did before. Thanks to all.

Back