• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me go higher.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mikyseee

Registered
I just got a P3 700 from a guy that says hes been running it at 933mhz at 1.85v with stock cooling. I thought that since I had a 118watt pelt and water cooling with volt mod, I would be able to hit 1gig. The highest I could run 3dmark2001 was at 138 fsb at 966mhz at 2.00v. Even at 2.40v, it could not finish the benchmark when I set it to 139 fsb at 973mhz. This means that my $100+ cooling system only gave me a freakin 33mhz more than stock cooling. :mad:
I'm using the BX133 with 2x256mb pc133 infinien ram and gf2 gts.
I tried using cas2 and cas3 but still cant go higher.
My idle temp is at 4C and full load is at 20C-25C.
The P3 700 is retail cbo sl45y.
Do you have any advise to help me go higher?

Hi mikyseee, wellcome to the Forum,
it's really strange, your temps are absolutly great, and your chip average clock into the Cpu database is around 955Mhz but there are a lot of higher freq., the only think that I suggest you is to go with a lower voltage, generally around 1.8/1.9v and try with higher Fsb like 150Mhz.
Wait a moment, what about your vid card temps?

Could be lots of things. Maybe the guy you bought it from said it would do that speed, but never really torture tested it for stability. Maybe your RAM isn't good enough. I had PC-133 Infineon RAM before I bought my PC-150 Kingmax, and although the old memory was high quality, it ran out of steam at about 140 FSB. I don't know about your particular motherboard, but most of those BX chipsets only had a 1/3 PCI clock divider. If that's the case, your poor PCI bus is running at 46 MHz. I really doubt that is possible, so maybe you do have a 1/4 PCI divider, but you might want to check on that. What kinds of cooling mods have you done to your case and motherboard? Northbridge chip cooling starts getting quite important at the higher FSB speeds. You also need really good air circulation inside your case. Gotta exhaust all that hot air out too. On the other hand, it is an old cB0 chip, so maybe it just won't do anymore.

The Abit BX133 mb does have a 1/4 pci clock divider, its at 35mhz.
I'm not sure if this is how to measure the videocard temp but I but the sensor on the back of the gpu. The temp is 38C. I have a 80mm fan blowin on the back and a blorb. I took the little fan off the blorb because it was loud and put a 80mm fan on it which actually made it 5C-7C cooler plus it is blowing air onto the ram. I have hsf on the north and south bridge. These are stock hsf made for the hercules gf2 gts. My case is open right now.

Last edited:
Well, doesn't seems to be the heat your probs, or depends by the chip that won't go higher for the stepping revision cB0, or are the mem module, but I have the same Infineon module 7.5ns and they works at 150Mhz Cas2, you can try using only one mem module, generally helps, coz the max speed that you can gain with a single module installed is higher then the other with two ore more module.

Might be your other hardware holding you back. Stick a few 120mm fans in there and you might want to add you video card to your water cooling network.:p

you can try to remove all PCI-cards, so they won't limit you...
try a voltage around 1.9V...the chip will run cooler than, and with a watercooled peltier it shouldn't need that high voltage...try it with one mem-stick at cas3 only, so you can be 100% sure it's not your RAM...

Back