• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Silencing HDDs by suspension

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Turd Furguson

Guys and gals this theory actually works. I used some zip ties to mount my 80gig Deathstar in a 5.25" bay only resting on 2 horizontal zip ties. I can't even hear this thing spin up now let alone seek or defrag. Sad to say but my Panaflo L1A at 7v is louder than my HDD now. :attn:

dont bump your case to hard... :)
header chrashes are a pain in the rear... kind like... never mind.
back to the topic. yeah suspension will quite your drivers. often bending your drive cage a little and shoving rubber grommits in there work good enough.

to be honest it doesn't look very safe to me, with the HDD shaking up n down like that can causes damages. but i guess i'm gonna try it anyways hehehe.

PachManP said:
WARNING these guys are about silence. They advocate UNDERCLOCKING!!!!

Ahhhh!!!! Underclocking...... My eyes are burning..

Intresting find BTW. Did you have any of that clicking sound when the hard drive is accessed?

Check out my thread from a few months ago. I did the same thing.

Thread Here

attachment.php

head* as in the reading thinger on a harddrive. i would suggest using supertightened elestic like the link above did. not zipties. it isnt a large deal if you dont bump drop or work on your case while your case is running.

PachManP said:
They advocate UNDERCLOCKING!!!!
That word, aaargh, it sounds so extraordinarily vulgar, burn it, buuurn iiit!

Back ontopic. It may silence your HD, but I'm kindof afraid about your head actually damaging your platters with your heads if your drive is in a seek.

I'd only use very firm rubber washers to mount it, and not make it nearly float under very loose suspension...

I am not worried at all about this thing being damaged.

If you take a look at picutre 3 in the thread I linked to a few posts up, you can see I am shaking the case upside down and the hard drive is not moving.

Quick Link to the Pic

Anyway my second rig has been running in my kitchen with this mod for almost 4 months, my 4 year old daughter uses it all the time, sits on it,bangs its, bumps it. All good so far.

My HD's are suspended. Always has been, always will. No noise and no side effects after several years. When a HD survives in a laptop, som rubberbands shouldn't hurt it!

The only thing is that with a normal mount, you have some heat transfer from the HD to the cage. None of that when suspended..

yeah this works. my 40 wd caviar se that is mounted in the drive bay thing that comes with the antec true control psu's is quite a bit louder than my 160 maxtor that is suspended with zipties

I have had my hdd's suspended for over a year now running 24/7. 6 months ago I added a 74gig raptor which also has had no problems (aside from the crappy sata connector) I completly removed the hard drive cage and fabbed up a hanging system connected to the floppy cage in my pc-60. It works nicely. I plan on suspending my hdd's in my new case i'm constructing, hopefully two raptors raided and a couple 160gig seagates raided. Will post pics when I get around to it. :D

-Andy

Anyone who thinks a bump is going to crash the head of a HDD, look up some specs of modern hard drives, they can take more than you would think.

Back