• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Realy cheep vidcard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shard

Hey guys, i am getting a newer comp then in my sig, and its going to be
1ghz Celly
Asus Board
368mb ram
30gb HD

the only problem, is that i need a new vidcard to replace my Voodoo3 2000

i would like the vidcard to be AGP, and run a good amount of newer games, like Enemy territory, Neverwinternights, and alot of slightly older games like that. aslo i want it to have dual monitor capabilities, becuase i will be getting another monitor soon.

so thanks for the help, and i hopefully i can find a good one!

The minimum card for running newer games would be a 9600pro/xt, or perhaps a 9500np 256bit. The 9500 runs about $100, used of course, and the 9600's are $120-$150 new. Still, with that cpu, you may not be able to run the newest games. It would hardly play C&C Generals(my grandpa has a 1.3), and that was a 2002 game, wasnt it?

Post above has a point - my friend has a 1.2 ghz Athlon, and Neverwinter Nights grinds that thing to a halt. A better vid card might help, but not by much...
Wait awhile, save some more cash, and get a run at it again.
Hope that helps.

well i need something to replace this hunk of junk that i am on currently, BUT, i am in negotiations for a 2000+XP and 512mb RAM, so all i will need is a vidcard, now it might be easier to reccomend stuff. BTW i am still getting that comp above, but i will just need a card that will play ET, Q3, HL, CS, and stuff like that. it will be for my little brother, so he can LAN me in those games

ET?

Anyway, your current voodoo should* do well in those games, I would think. Perhaps a geforce2-3, or radeon 8500(better than the previous 2) for around $40 would be good.

ET = Enemy Territory

now my vodoo, it just sucks my ***, it wont run Q3, it wont run HL well, it wont run pretty much anything well, so yeah, its gonna be a PCI card, for triple monitors, lol

For dirt cheap setup go with a ATI 8500-9200 or if you like Nvidia try a Ti series - 5200. For the speed of the chip you are mentioning they would be 'bout right. I think you can get them on special for around $50 US and it will leave a lil to save for more later. Mind you them aren't top of the line GPU's on them.

Well is your motherboard a AGP2 spec compliant? That will be a serious bottleneck in your card choice, so getting a overboard card won't help all that much.

as a suggestion

for the dual monitors why dont you just get a cheap ( 20 bucks) pci video card in additon to the agp one

this will allow you to cut the price of the agp for dual monitor support

If it is @ PC2100 levels, I would go with a 8500 or the Ti series, they overclock much better. For DX9, visuals, I would do the 9600np but you most likey won't see the benifit of the DX9 anyways. So the Ti or 8500 might just be the best bet for your class of PC you are mentioning. No reason to overdo the video and not get the bank for your buck.

I Have a Voodoo3 PCI that i will be using just in case

ok, i have decided to get either the Ti4200/4600 or the 8500, but i dont know wich version of the 8500 was the realy good one, and i still need a good card for my 1ghz one, how does the MX4000 sound?

As much as I love to see my fellow members make the best system they can, you made good pick in going with same class, not getting overboard card. For older Nvidias they seem to rock on the older Intels. The only issue I ever had with ATI was their drivers, on the older NVidia cards the drivers rocked!! I think the newer drivers for ATI have gotten much, much better. For ease of use I would pick the NVidia products. I had a 900 Tbird and had a MX440 and it rocked that class of puter and was dirt cheap, had s-video too. I think the MX4000 is alright card. I think they don't OC all that great though(MX440).

What is available? That should be your reasoning for final judgment... IMO
Yes I would definaltly use that setup if it was my own. But do some reading on older review sites for good specs then "do the hunt" for what is still out there, try to get new if possible, but used if like $10 or so.
Edit: You could post in the "wanted" section of this forum or keep an eye on the classifieds (if you have access).

For that old Celeron rig, just get a GF3 TI200. You can score one on the forums here for around $30-$40 and they still work "ok" for any games that came out up till this past spring. For the older games that you posted about though, a TI200 should eat them up. A TI4200 just wouldnt make much of a difference over the TI200 and it will cost about twice as much.

well my old celly in my sig, it doesnt have AGP, limited to 256mb ram, and its slow, i want to couple the Ti4200 with a 2000+ and 512mb ram, and get a MX440 for the 1ghz Celly.

and with the 2000+ i can get a good mobo to go with it that has some good features. Mostly what i will be doing is music, movies, and older games, BTW do you guys think Ghost Recon will run on the 2000+ rig?

Shard, I think your gonna be building a machine close to what I have. I'm running a Athlon XP 2000 + with 512megs ram and a MSI Geforce 4 TI 4200 (128 meg ram) card. I can play Doom 3 and get 35 fps if I over clock the vid card. I can also play CS very smoothly as well as play UT 2004 and Far Cry. Enemy Territory plays very well as well. I think you'll be fine with that setup for abit.
As for Ghost Recon Running on the rig. I don't see why not. Im running Doom3 and im sure recon is not as intense.

Back