• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Canon EOS 10D, best place to purchase?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alpal

Registered
Hey all you photography buffs,

I am more into computers but my girlfriend loves photography. She recently got a job with a wedding photographer and she is loving it. The guy she is working with recommended she get the Canon 10D camera for her to use as an intermediate level camera. I was wondering where the best places to buy camera products would be? Anyone have any good sites they normally do their photography purchases from? Any comments on the 10D? Thanks in advance for your help.

-Al

Your best place to pick one of these up right now is going used. With the 20D just being announced, a lot of people are dumping their 10D's at rediculously low prices to upgrade.

A friend of mine has one for sale right now actually. I'll PM you with the info.

The D70's a great camera, but also look at picking up a used D100 with the MB-D100 vertical grip. A new D70 is about the same price as a used D100 with the MB-D100. Both are excellent cameras, and both have their advantages over the other.

The D70 has a faster flash sync (1/500 vs. 1/180 on the D100), the D70 also supports iTTL flash, and has a SLIGHTLY bigger buffer (allowing you to get 5fps instead of 4fps on the D100).

The D100 allows the use of a mechanical shutter release cable, is a much better built body (the D70 is plastic, the D100 is plastic-coated magnesium alloy), the MB-D100 allows you to use two batteries at once for MUCH longer battery life, adds voice memo capabilities to your images, provides you with Nikon's 10-pin port for adding devices like the MC-20 & MC-30 remote triggers & MC-22 cable for hooking up custom devices.

The D70 will also ONLY shoot compressed NEF, which is NOT lossless. The D100 shoots uncompressed NEF raw files (The D100 will also shoot compressed, but it's super slow - but why shoot compressed anyway?).

Both can operate tethered to a PC via USB cable for remote control of the camera, and support custom curves to produce a good range of colour & contrast, or to emulate the use of certain types of films (Fuji velvia, etc).

Back