• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800 XT 256mb is slow?!?!?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Titan2782

Registered
I got an ATI radeon 9800 XT 256mb, but it's slow! Doom3 lags, serious sam 2 lags and I can only get a benchmark of 3600 on 3d mark 03. I see all the mags getting like 6000+ scores, why cant I get these scores? I've used all the drivers like DNA, Omega and the Catalyst, i use power strip to overclock right now.

Also, this thing runs HOT, the heat sink is wrapped around it and it is too hot to touch. What kind of cooling should I get for this thing?

Are there any tweaks I can do to it to make it better? With my 9000 Pro, I was able to modify the bios on the card.

Thanks.

A 9800xt wasnt the best buy right now, as a 6800nu is probably cheaper and definantly faster. Still, you have a good card. Try running 16x AF, 0 AA and max out the other sliders, that works well for me. I get 30fps in doom3 on high, 1024x768 on my 9700 with that.

Click Start -> Run -> Type DXDIAG and press enter.
Click on the Display tab, and ensure that "AGP Texture Acceleration" is enabled.

Report to us with your findings...

AGP texture acceleration IS on, and no i dont have my settings too high, i have then right in the middle.

I have an XP3000
Abit AN7 Mobo
1GB kingston DDR400 dual channel
Radeon 9800 XT 256MB

BTW: I got that card for free, so no big deal on buying the wrong card :cool:

I have it over clocked a bit using power strip. In the nature scene on 3d mark 03, i get about 16fps max on only certian parts, my avg is 14 i think.

I have fast writes off, the GART is set to 8X, the AGP bus is at 75mhz and i'm not trying to run any ridiculous resolution, i run 800x600 and 1024x768

You have overclocked the AGP bus. . . return it to 66,Hz. Your card cant handle it and it is messing up because of this. Also be sure to install the drivers correctly. If you do not allow the drive test to complete etc your card will not operate properly.

Z

In the bios, make sure you set your main video to "AGP/Onboard" rather than PCI... and as others have said, put your agp to 66mhz.

Back