• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to set up dual monitor with one vid card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sup3rcarrx8

Hi guys. I was wondering how you setup a dual-monitor setup with a video card, specifically one with a VGA port and one with a DVI port or even two DVI port video cards. Is there special software needed or special monitors needed at all? Thanks.

ATI and nVidia's cards both come with software which lets you use dual monitors. ATI's technology is called Hydravision, and nVidia's is nView. Whichever company your card is from, if you look through your drivers you should find something regarding them (or just aditional monitors in general). Just plug in both monitors, find the setting in the drivers, and you should be set. :)

JigPu

If ur using 2 vgas, u need the dumb little adaptor to change the plug.

My card, SiS Xabre 400, has VGA out, DVI out, and Svideo out....i have 2 CRTs currently plugged in, as well as my Tv on the Svideo for late nite movies and lazy games of quake ...

some cards, u just need to connect it and go into the Settings tab of your display options on the desktop.

JigPu said:
ATI and nVidia's cards both come with software which lets you use dual monitors. ATI's technology is called Hydravision, and nVidia's is nView. Whichever company your card is from, if you look through your drivers you should find something regarding them (or just aditional monitors in general). Just plug in both monitors, find the setting in the drivers, and you should be set. :)

JigPu

Doesn't Hydravision just give you multiple desktops? Kind of like Linux's mutiple desktop thingy?

I might do it with my card (9500np) or my friend might try it out. He asked if you can do it with one integrated video and then a separate junk video card. Is that possible? Thanks.

yes, its possible. but then u do not need hydravision....u insert the other card in ur computer..now im not sure how XP handles it, but i remember win98 would popup a message saying "If you can see this, windows has successfully detected and activated your video card. You can activate it, and use it as a part of your desktop in the settings tab"

2000 is a pain in the arse, where like the motherboard has to know which card to use as a mian....XP i beleive is similar...but once u get the card n there, go to the settings tab...in properties on your desktop...u click the second monitor , it will be grayed out....there willl be a checkbox saying "extend my windows desktop to this monitor" click that, click apply...the monitor should startup.

HOw u do mirror mode with 2 cards i have no idea. i guess ultramon or something..

You don't need Hydravision anyways...

I've got one machine running a 64Meg AGP ATI Radeon 8500 dual output, and a 64Meg PCI ATI Radeon 7500 dual output. 4 monitors all running happily with just basic stock drivers, none of that Hydravision stuff installed. Haven't set it up in Linux, but works great in '98SE, 2K & XP.

The ATI drivers should include a mirroring option in the properties (the ability's been around as long as laptops have - for LCD+CRT). Even a single monitor output + TV output you have the option of either (on most ATI boards), mirror your monitor on the TV or extend your desktop on the TV.

Back