• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice on removing the backing plate on the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FearTec

Hello

I am looking for advice on how to remove the backing plate on the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum??

It appears to be stuck on with a heap of glue?

Has anyone any tips on how I can do this? I have a Thermalright SLK 948U heatsink I want to put onto the mobo but can't remove the backing plate

Thanks In Advance

hair dryer.. heat it until you can start to gently pry the plate off. dont over heat

I have a neo k8n platinum and was surprised how easy it was to remove the backplate just by heating it up a little with a hairdryer..

Basically I was able to pry it off the board with my fingers very carefully.. Once you get a loose edge then the rest just slowly pops off..

Thanks LiquidOz

It sounds simple then, I will give it a go.

What Heatsink do you have on your Platinum?

I had a difficult time removing my backplate for a zalman 7000a al-cu. I used a hair dryer and it still took me 30 minutes of heating just to pry it off. Over at the MSI boards, it seems that maybe half of the people have an easy time prying it off, and the other half experience a bit more difficulty. I actually heated the backplate up quite a bit but the system has been running flawlessly for 3 months since I did it.

I have managed to get the backplate off my MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum mainboard.

It appeared to be stuck on with heaps of glue but after only 30 seconds of light heating with a hair dryer the back plate popped off.

I have a pictrue of CPU the Heatsink backplate (taken with my Webcam camera http://simon.fearby.com/webcam) showing the area of the backplate that was actually stuck to the mainbaord.

MSIN8NNeo2Platinum-Backplate.jpg

The 95% surface area that was not touching the mainboard was very very adhesive.

Now to install my Thermalright SLK 948U Copper Heatsink :)

Simon

why would you want to remove that back plate ??? are you suppose to keep it off ?

i am putting one together and left it on there and have the stocker heatsink right now

Back