• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project O.C. (56K Warning..pics inside)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KILLorBE

Skip the History part if you don't like reading (Like you wouldn't if I didn't say so :p ).

History:
It started with building an old system that I never could pay for (Back when a P1 200MMX was $500 orso...that's just the CPU for you youngsters) as I still have lots of old (DOS) games, and it was also part of a MOD (Dinner table MOD...more about that later).
As I only had my first 586 CPU (AMD K5 PR75), a Cyrix PR233 (187MHz) and an Intel 100MHz I started looking for a Intel 200MMX or 233MMX (While the Cyrix will run @ 233MHz with ease it still kinda sucks performance wise, besides that a lot of old games require patches, and as it's hard to find these patches Intel was the way to go.

Well all stores that sold them (200/233MMX CPU's) were charging way too much IMO, so off to Ebay I went, I found a 200MMX and placed a bid, found a MOBO + CPU (233MMX) + 16MB + 2 or 4MB V-card...placed a bid, and finally I found a K6-2 300...placed a bid...Why so many bids you may ask? well I've seen people bid much more as I was willing to pay (€5-6 or ~$6-7 US) so I didn't think I would win them all....I was wrong....I won all auctions. So now I had 3 working P1 systems :beer:

I got this PC for free (386 AMD DX40) and my first thought was to turn it into an ATX case, but as I ended up with more 'crap' (see 'History') I decided to do something else with it.....On to the pics:

The case how it used to be (Kinda, the removable HDD rack was done in PSP as I forgot to take pics, and it may have been in a deifferent order):
01.jpg

This is with an Asus P2B (When I thought about turning it into an ATX case):
02.jpg

Back side:
03.jpg

Old case that I found and will be using:
04.jpg

Lets get jiggy with it (That's what you do with Jay-Z or a Jiggy saw, I did it with a jiggy saw as I couldn't find Jay-Z......he was probably hiding from me :bday: ):
05.jpg

I'll post some more pics later

The finished back panel:
07.jpg

The MOBO wall:
08.jpg

Mounted the MOBO's and 1 PSU to see if it all fits:
09.jpg

Mounted a HDD rack:
10.jpg

Took everything apart to do some painting:
11.jpg

Some parts already painted:
12.jpg

I also painted the bezzel but it was really screwed up due to the most crappy paint I've ever used :mad:

That's it for now.

i thought will smith sung that song... o well. looks nice, love the turbo button and the mhz display... give it a nice vintage look :)

depthad said:
i thought will smith sung that song... o well. looks nice, love the turbo button and the mhz display... give it a nice vintage look :)
You're right it was will smith :bang head

Not sure what I'm gonna use the MHz display for yet.

Mortis03 said:
Maybe i'm missing something here... but 2 mobos? I dont get it :confused:
I'm gonna use 1 MOBO to run smoothwall orso and the other will be used for some sort of security, I live on the 3rd floor and before I answer the door I like to know who it is, I'm gonna use an old video conferencing kit with some motion detection software, and then upload the pics to my webspace or another old PC that I'll hide real well, it's very unlikely that they'll ever break in but when they do I might have some pics :bday: (I'm also gonna use a bunch of IR LEDs to get better pictures when it's dark).
And why have 2 small cases when you can put it all in 1 big case?

Ahh.. that makes sense. It's actually a pretty cool idea.

You can always use the mhz display as a temp display. Just a thought.

dj_2004 said:
i love when people mod huge cases. keep it up
I forgot to tell you yesterday that I have 2 more Big towers and 1 NSA aircleaner which I'm going to MOD, I've already spend a lot of time thinking, planning and some modding on 1 case.

Once this MOD is done and I receive some parts that I ordered I will start a new thread (Which most likely will get more replies :rolleyes: ).

The aircleaner case will be the most advanced mod I've ever build, it will have at least 2 LCD's, some LED displays, water cooling, tons of electronics, modded HDD and some secret ingredients :santa:

But before I start with the aircleaner I'll finish my other big tower.

Back