• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Large fluctuations in voltage & temp, DFI nF3 250...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OSUmaxx

Is anyone else experiencing large voltage fluctuations?

With the included hardware monitor, my Vdimm (set @ 3.1) ranges from 2.95 to 3.1, my Vcore jumps all around, etc.

Also, the temp (using beta BIOS) jumps around like crazy. I'm using a TR XP-90 HSF w/ Panaflo 53 cfm. Idle is around 38'C (still too high?), and load jumps from the 50-58 range. The SECOND I shut down Prime95, the temp jumps back down to 38, leading me to believe something is wrong with the temp monitoring. I might try to reseat my HSF, but I'd like to know what others are experiencing first...

OSUmaxx said:
Is anyone else experiencing large voltage fluctuations?

With the included hardware monitor, my Vdimm (set @ 3.1) ranges from 2.95 to 3.1, my Vcore jumps all around, etc.

Also, the temp (using beta BIOS) jumps around like crazy. I'm using a TR XP-90 HSF w/ Panaflo 53 cfm. Idle is around 38'C (still too high?), and load jumps from the 50-58 range. The SECOND I shut down Prime95, the temp jumps back down to 38, leading me to believe something is wrong with the temp monitoring. I might try to reseat my HSF, but I'd like to know what others are experiencing first...

i would suggest resiting your HSF just to be sure, but the voltage/temp moniter is the cause akaik. even my 12vrail is shown to be fluxuating, and in the molex, and one board, its ROCK stable. the same w/ vcore....

my idle is about 42-44,and load is about 58-62..

Well I reseated my HSF and this time used AS3 instead of AS5. I'm getting similar temps as before. I really wish they'd iron out these monitoring problems...

On a side note, you have to remove the XP-90 at an angle and it pulled my chip out with it. Bent a row of pins and some others. Got them back straight fortunately. That's one reason I tried AS3 this time...

OSUmaxx said:
Well I reseated my HSF and this time used AS3 instead of AS5. I'm getting similar temps as before. I really wish they'd iron out these monitoring problems...

On a side note, you have to remove the XP-90 at an angle and it pulled my chip out with it. Bent a row of pins and some others. Got them back straight fortunately. That's one reason I tried AS3 this time...

yeah this is kinda a pain, but you will have this, even w/ the stock HSF :-/ ...

thats one other reason w/ i like mobiles/dtr's. there isnt a heat speader, so there isnt much surface area between the HSF, and the die, so u usually dont have to worry about it pulling your chip out.. :eek:

Yeah, I'm thinking about popping the heatspreader on of these days. I'm going to get my rig stable first, then worry about it though. Going from AS5-->AS3 gave me better temps. I'm sitting at around 54-55 load now @ 1.65V. Probably just because I didn't put the AS5 on well though...

So eventhough the utility reports the voltages to fluctuate, they do not? I am asking because this is what I have to put up with right now, and it is driving me nuts.

dreIU said:
So eventhough the utility reports the voltages to fluctuate, they do not? I am asking because this is what I have to put up with right now, and it is driving me nuts.

yeah just for example it shows my 12v rail at 11.88-12.20, and through the molex it shows exacly 12.25v, idle, load, 12hours prime, any time you check it its 12.25v, i really dont know(my nf7 shows the same way :confused:

Jess1313 said:
yeah just for example it shows my 12v rail at 11.88-12.20, and through the molex it shows exacly 12.25v, idle, load, 12hours prime, any time you check it its 12.25v, i really dont know(my nf7 shows the same way :confused:

Well then it's safe to assume it is a software issue, correct?

Yea my temps jump all over the place as well. I go anywhere from 41 to 48 on a second to second basis so I chalk it up to the monitor. Hopefully a new thing like mbm5 will come around soon, this ite thing is just sad.

Yeah. The BIOS shows pretty constant temps, but this program isn't so great. I don't really like how it functions at all either.

wannaoc said:
Yea my temps jump all over the place as well. I go anywhere from 41 to 48 on a second to second basis so I chalk it up to the monitor. Hopefully a new thing like mbm5 will come around soon, this ite thing is just sad.

humm have u used any other a64 besides this one, the rapid jumps in tempature seem to be "normal". my shuttle idles at 29c, and after 1sec of prime its at 44c, and then one more latter its at 45?..lol. my msi neo, and kv8-pro had similar characteristics.

but i still think that is off, as well as Voltages being off...

just set up my DFI nf3-250Gb board with Swiftech MCW6002 and MCP650 pump

3400+ newcastle

temps reported by Speedfan

stock speed @ 12x200.9mhz = 2411mhz
vcore idle = 1.472v
vcore load (stresscpu) = 1.52-1.536v

CPU idle = 39-42C
CPU load (stresscpu) = 52-56C

i believe cpu temps are at least 10-14C over reported as my same cpu on Shuttle AN50R had cpu idle = 25-30C and cpu load = 40-42C

my 12v rail is rock steady at 12.09v with 550W Antec TrueControl

eva2000 said:
just set up my DFI nf3-250Gb board with Swiftech MCW6002 and MCP650 pump

3400+ newcastle

temps reported by Speedfan

stock speed @ 12x200.9mhz = 2411mhz
vcore idle = 1.472v
vcore load (stresscpu) = 1.52-1.536v

CPU idle = 39-42C
CPU load (stresscpu) = 52-56C

i believe cpu temps are at least 10-14C over reported as my same cpu on Shuttle AN50R had cpu idle = 25-30C and cpu load = 40-42C

my 12v rail is rock steady at 12.09v with 550W Antec TrueControl

i would suggest a bios update(link in sig:D)

Yea Guy,s its not the Program doing this . It is the hardware moniter chip that reads all this stuff, its just not any good. Windbond has never been anygood at doing this.

Temps are by my probe 34c with monitor 44c at idle with my Clawhammer DTR & Mobil

Temps are by my probe 34c with monitor 54c at idle my Newcastle

Vcore what ever it reads will increase when load is applied( a64 does this) making it look like its flucuating more than it is.

Bios temps no where close either.

Vdimm runs about 0.6 to 0.8 under in bios than it really is.

You can use CPUCool & it shows the same thing, but it does have a affset for temp that you can ajust if you have a probe to go by so you know what temps it really is.

If you are in the 3xc at idle that is way cooler than I am by the monitor & I would have to say that xp90 heatsink is working better than any I have seen for A64.

I have checked voltages at Vcore, Vdimm ,VTT , chipset, and others wail loading & its all is rock stable, no worries that I can tell.

When running prime if you run BLEND the temps will jump around more, run the IN PLACE & it will show more steady(higher).

The a64 startes heating instantly when loading, then cools off just as fast. AXP did this alot slower. So this is a64 CPU way & not the board.

I would think OSKAR will work on the temp readings again, they just went threw alot the last few days & are keeping up with all that is going on.

Think about it, within two days of the boards release Oskar had us a Mobil bios, that would have takin months from anyone else, if even then (Shuttle is the only other mobo maker I even know that did this,add mobil support)

I will tell Oskar my findings on the temp problems & see where it goes. This can be fixed, the voltage monitoring is probably the way it is and not going to get any better.

Jess1313

Last edited:
yeah underload voltage fluctuates somewhat i.e.

when i set 1.55v in bios:
- in bios reads 1.57-1.59v idle
- in windows using speedfan and cpuz vcore idle = 1.568-1.584v and underload it can fluctuate between 1.552-1.568-1.584-1.6-1.616v

this is at 1.55v vcore in bios
stresscpu_1.jpg

stresscpu_2.jpg

eva2000 said:
yeah underload voltage fluctuates somewhat i.e.

when i set 1.55v in bios:
- in bios reads 1.57-1.59v idle
- in windows using speedfan and cpuz vcore idle = 1.568-1.584v and underload it can fluctuate between 1.552-1.568-1.584-1.6-1.616v

this is at 1.55v vcore in bios
stresscpu_1.jpg

stresscpu_2.jpg

Yes this is what I am saying, you are reading from software probably. It doesnt do this when reading with a DVOM(voltage jumping around). Except for a slight raise in voltage when a load is applied, this is normal for a64.

Each board itself may start out slightly above or below set voltage , but all brand mobos probably do this by little amounts.

The voltages are rock stable on these boards.

Jess1313

Last edited:
Jess,

What multimeter are you using to check this? Most meters can't detect instantaneous change just so you know. Unless you're using really high-end equipment, you probably can't see peaks.

OSUmaxx said:
Jess,

What multimeter are you using to check this? Most meters can't detect instantaneous change just so you know. Unless you're using really high-end equipment, you probably can't see peaks.

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/flu88.html.

this is what i carry around, and usually have at the house

it has the Digital read out in numerical form, as well as a bar at the bottom, that usually will show up out any vatiation, ups, or down...

I as well have ascess to a scope..

my point is, is that the moniter is in correct, just the example i showed above my 12v rail,(when read by the Prog) can drop in to the 11.80's and stay there(for 2-5secs), and then come back up to 12.05, but by my multi meter, it stays right not 12.25v never moving.....

Last edited:
Back