• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seagate drive dead?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NovaShine

Im gonna need some help here, im having some problems with my seagate drive. It's a Barracuda (dunno what version) IDE, 120GB capacity.

Since installing my new Western Digital 120GB IDE, the Seagate has been giving me problems. Playing music from it results in short freezes in the comp, a lack of responsiveness like it were processing something. Transferring data from the seagate into the western digital has been slow. Then one day, the drive just didnt show up in My Computer. Apparently, windows dosnt know that it even exists. But all is fine with it in Bios. It's detected correctly and everything seems to be in order.

I fired up seatools and ran a few diagnostics on the drive and apparently, it said that it was the file system that was to blame. It says there's no physical damage to the drive and i should scan it with Scandisk, but i cant seem to access it from windows.

I havent fully backed up everything in that drive and ive got some pretty important data on it.

Can anyone help me out?

Wow, I have of late been having some issues with my drives. It seems as though there is corrupted data on the drive. A simple re-formatting will fix your issues but at this point use Nero or something to backup what you can. It may take a while but if the information is worth it I would wait. Also, check to make sure the data you save on DVD's, CD's, or another drive actually gets saved and works.

The Scan disk will happen after you reboot if you have XP. You do need to go to the drive in question, properties, then scan disk.

GOOD LUCK!

Windows dosnt even acknowledge that this drive even exists.

It's not listed under Device Manager, i tried to look at it through partition magic, no luck, tried to look at it through the control panel, the disk management thing and it wasnt displayed.

I just had a drive do the same thing....I pushed my overclock to far and then i corrupted my raid configuration. The drive did not show up in windows nor the bios when 2 drives were plugged in. I wanted to set them up without the raid and nothing. So I decided to reformat with a Windows disk. Once it was done reformatting i just restarted it. I put both drives back in and loaded from the known good one. Low and behold both drives are there and now usable.

I think you have lost the information. Otherwise there are companys that can recover the information. It might not be cheap nor worth it.....

Try Seagate

Good Luck

:(

ahh well, ill try spinrite if i can grab a free version. If not, then i guess ive lost my entire video store...

All that time spent downloading :(

That blows...you can join magicalsoftware.net and find/or ask for it. Someone will post it for you.

Take it to a buds house and try it in his rig. Although it may not show active until you run dskmgmnt and format it, its a worth a try though.

It shows in the bios, but not in Win. Are you using XP or ?????
Are both HDD's on the same IDE cable, one as master and other as slave?
Your computer may not like mixing the two brands on the same IDE port. Try hooking the Seagate up on IDE 2 and see what happens. The fact that you can see it in your bios and that it has no OS info on it makes it seem recoverable.

Whats up Free Loader!?!?!?!?!?

Check the jumper on your WD carefully. Where exactly is it?

Should look like this if you've made the WD your boot drive...

::|::

The Seagate should look like this...

::|:

Well, i started off putting both on Cable select, which worked fine for a while, after the Seagate started pulling crap on me, i put primary /w slave on the WD and Slave on the Seagate and that didnt do anything.

Now:

Seagate Barracuda 120GB IDE

R.I.P

After a few tries with seatools, one or two more diagnosis to check it out, took it over to my dad's PC to try it out (no luck, same thing), tried to look at it in Fdisk with a WinME boot disk, after i restarted, i got the message:

Primary IDE Slave Failure, press F1 to continue. (or something along those lines)

I pressed F1 and went to look at the drive in bios, it's still there, but it took ages to detect (the serial number still shows up correctly like ST...).

Well, i guess even Seagates, renouned for reliability can die spontaneously on you, so that reinforces the need to BACK UP YOUR DATA. Which is the object of today's lesson.

Back