• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Clawhammer 3700 running very warm... normal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Odie812

Hey everyone,

Just loaded a Clawhammer 3700+ into my 8KDA3J with a stick of the PQI Turbo memory. Well, the thread title says it all... I'm booting into windows at 50C and load temperatures hit 60C easily. I've reapplied AS5 twice now and reseated my SLK-948U. I also added an extra 92mm fan, and nothing seems to be affecting the temperatures.

I'm not too worried yet, but I'm just wondering if these chips are supposed to run hotter than any other Clawhammers.

Thanks,

Odie :)

Odie812 said:
Hey everyone,

Just loaded a Clawhammer 3700+ into my 8KDA3J with a stick of the PQI Turbo memory. Well, the thread title says it all... I'm booting into windows at 50C and load temperatures hit 60C easily. I've reapplied AS5 twice now and reseated my SLK-948U. I also added an extra 92mm fan, and nothing seems to be affecting the temperatures.

I'm not too worried yet, but I'm just wondering if these chips are supposed to run hotter than any other Clawhammers.

Thanks,

Congtrats on the new CPU man, what happened to the old one?

As far as temps go, are you overclocked at all? What about the voltage? I know this board has problems with voltage undervolting, so I have to set mine to 1.65 in order to boot (and I am not even OC'd)... are you able to give it stock voltage?

I still have my 3200+, will probably end up selling it here, but wanted to test the waters on this chip... got a pretty sweet deal on it from Ebay. I usually don't buy computer parts from there for RMA reasons but it was too good to overlook :)

My voltage is between 1.55 and 1.6V (using the stock 1.55 settings) on the 5/14 BIOS (only one that doesn't fubar my voltages). I'm only slightly OC'ed at 2.45Ghz right now, but I didn't have to touch the voltage to get there.

This board is still really a drag. Can't wait til around the 23rd :)

Anyway, if anyone has a clue about these temps, please let me know

As previously stated, I cannot use any BIOS other than 5/14 because of undervolting issues. I have flashed and reflashed every BIOS multiple times and 5/14 is the only one that will work.

And no, the heatsink isn't warm at all, barely lukewarm. Couldn't cook an egg if I wanted to :p

Odie

dreIU said:
Well, dunno what to tell you 'cept we have about two weeks till ye 'ol DFI arrives :D

Yeppers :santa: accualy only about a week :attn:

http://www.gameve.com/gve/Store/ProductDetails.aspx?sku=MB-DFI-023

oh btw when you say that you have undervolt problems, is this that the voltage show lower,? o that it is lower? do you have instablilities?, becuase it is possible that the newer bios just reports voltages wronge, and they are not infact undervolting :thup:

-Jess-

Jess1313 said:
Yeppers :santa: accualy only about a week :attn:

http://www.gameve.com/gve/Store/ProductDetails.aspx?sku=MB-DFI-023

oh btw when you say that you have undervolt problems, is this that the voltage show lower,? o that it is lower? do you have instablilities?, becuase it is possible that the newer bios just reports voltages wronge, and they are not infact undervolting :thup:

-Jess-

It IS lower, and believe me, there are a bunch more people with this problem (over at some other epox forum)... I do have instability issues, windows won't boot up unless the voltage is at 1.65vcore... which is a hell of a lot for only running at stock... this board was the biggest piece of garbage, I am not sure I want to sell it... dont want to give anyone a headache.

EDIT: glad to see that gameve.com changed the eta date!! Woot!

Thanks all for the help. I'm going to wait until the AS5 settles and then see where I am.

*crossing fingers for DFI*

:)

dreIU said:
It IS lower, and believe me, there are a bunch more people with this problem (over at some other epox forum)... I do have instability issues, windows won't boot up unless the voltage is at 1.65vcore... which is a hell of a lot for only running at stock... this board was the biggest piece of garbage.........

:bang head , wow that really really sux, i had no idea that a bios could cause this, it sounds almost as bad as an MSI....

GL, for all, especailly those hopin to get DFI

it should serve you well(if you can get one :thup: ), be sure to place you order ASAP, when they get it in stock

My board never had issues booting up, but there were times with the newer BIOS' when I spotted the VCore as low as 1.100 volts... pretty scary... just glad it wasn't that far off in the OTHER direction!

The 5/14 BIOS works well for me. I can OC better than any other BIOS, and I'm actually overvolting by .5 or so, so I get a little cushion when overclocking :)

Still, I'm just baffled at Epox and their software development methods. In the 5 or 6 BIOS releases since the boards inception, you would think that they would be swift enough to include whatever *fixes* the VCore in the 5/14 BIOS to the newer ones.

[shrug] Again, I reiterate: DFI :attn:

Odie

Jess1313 said:
:bang head , wow that really really sux, i had no idea that a bios could cause this, it sounds almost as bad as an MSI....

GL, for all, especailly those hopin to get DFI

it should serve you well(if you can get one :thup: ), be sure to place you order ASAP, when they get it in stock

Yeah that does kind of suck... I've had an order with gameve for about a week now. I called them to make sure I would be included in their next shipment, and they said I will :burn: SO I am goood to go!

Odie812 said:
My board never had issues booting up, but there were times with the newer BIOS' when I spotted the VCore as low as 1.100 volts... pretty scary...

:eek: :confused: wow now thats uncalled for!

DreIU said:
I've had an order with gameve for about a week now. I called them to make sure I would be included in their next shipment, and they said I will SO I am goood to go!

w00t :attn:

Odie812 said:
My board never had issues booting up, but there were times with the newer BIOS' when I spotted the VCore as low as 1.100 volts... pretty scary... just glad it wasn't that far off in the OTHER direction!

The 5/14 BIOS works well for me. I can OC better than any other BIOS, and I'm actually overvolting by .5 or so, so I get a little cushion when overclocking :)

Still, I'm just baffled at Epox and their software development methods. In the 5 or 6 BIOS releases since the boards inception, you would think that they would be swift enough to include whatever *fixes* the VCore in the 5/14 BIOS to the newer ones.

Odie, copy the following BIOS package to a bootable floppy, boot to the disk and type UPDATE just like a normal BIOS update:

http://www.damontech.net/mod34915.zip

This package includes a modified version of the new 9/15 BIOS that allows for 1.8V VCORE. I've also modified UPDATE.bat to include several command line switches recommended in this post at AOA Forum:

http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=266908&postcount=15

After every BIOS flash, I used to have to unplug power from the board, unplug the battery, clear the CMOS, reset CMOS, reinstall the battery and plug in the power in order to get proper voltages. From what I gather, the VCORE problem stems from a corrupted bootblock. This modified BIOS package with switches makes sure the entire BIOS is overwritten upon flashing. It has eliminated the problems for me.

Good luck!

I've always used the switches listed in that post at AOA when updating my BIOS' anyway, so my bootblock's been cleared many a time. I still see the problem without 5/14 :( Thank you for your effort, though.

You know what else is odd? The 9/15 I downloaded from Magic BIOS (off of Epox's FTP) already allows me to select and apply 1.8V. Interesting, I thought.

DFI's in the mail :)

Thanks again,

Back