• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800 Pro problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shoeby

Hey, I have this problem, that i've been unable to find anywhere, I was thinking maybe one of you could give me suggestions... here's the story.

I was playing world of warcraft one day and the lights flickered and i lost my video. I had about enough of that crap so I went and got a UPS, hooked it up, waited a few days, power blinked... Poof! no video. Now mind you these aren't severe power blinks... My ps2 was running this time and my fiancee was playing a game and it didn't reset or anything.

So I figured, bah it must be my monitor or something. So i bought a new monitor... Didn't fix it. Okay fine must be my power supply, that's what i get for using a generic. Upgraded to a sparkle... Still didn't fix it. Now I'm pretty convinced it's my Sapphire 9800 pro OEM from newegg.

Do you guys have anythoughts about it, or has anyone ever heard of this sort of thing... it's driving me freaking nuts

Before you go out and buy anything else test it in another unit. This would have been much easier. Try using another video card in there! Just don't go out and buy everything before you can narrow down the problem at home. If you don't have another computer or spare parts to test with it would be cheaper to pay someone to fiugure it out. Since it is an issue that is not intermittent I don't think they would charge you more than an hours time. IMO......

Its possible that it died from the voltage spike, but there is no way of know unless you try it in another PC as he ^^ mentioned.

psh... no one could have "screwed up" the card like i have through power problems... mine have been through ~4-8 power surges (all caused by me and the computer), and a few electrical shocks(that actually hurted me) and its still going strong.. someone up there must love me :)

but i dont like the card because i think my psu/mobo is underpowering it and i get VPU recovery problems sometimes when playing games like farcry for 10 consecutive hours or battlefield vietnam(vga silencer r3 w. vantec bga copper ramsinks - not oc'ing and i need to run it 4x not 8x because its unstable on 8x).. otherwise its a tough guy i bet no one has surged their computer 3x in 1 day before.(not on purpose, stupid surged when i connected a splitter to audio out and sent the signal to my DD surround sound system(odd thing to cause a surge ehh?)

You play farcry and BF:V for 10 hours straight??? :eh?:

Im a nerd but damn I draw the line for gaming at 3 or 4 at MOST.

Perhaps i'll be playing HL2 for 6 hours straight sometimes.... :rolleyes:

:cool:

exageration but if i leave, ill just leave it in game(with monitor off, or press esc, but yeah it will stay in game)

Hehe, sorry let me reclarify what i meant. My card works fine, it's been working great, the only thing is, if my lights flicker the slightest bit *poof* i lose video. If i press reset or power off and power back up everything works fine again. My Playstation, TV, and other computer work fine through the electrical problems, but it's just this computer with the 9800 pro. I was using a generic 430 watt PS, Now I have a Sparkle 400w PS. Running it on an Abit NF-7s with a Mobile 2600+ I'm using the latest Omega drivers, and have directX 8.1 on my machine.

Generic 430 watt? is it the one that comes with the chieftech cases(ISO-500)? And download DirectX 9.0c, 8.1 is outdated unless you want higher 3dmark01 scores. 9.0c comes with service pack 2 or you can look for the developer redistribiteable if you don't want to download all 200+ megs of service pack 2, or just hate it.

Instead of trying to fix your vid card, you should try to fix the power from your house. Sounds like you have too many things connected in the same room. When you turn on too many things at the same time, the CB will trip and shuts off all power. One way to fix this is to change the circuit breaker in your house. I think the standard CB in per room is 15A. Try getting another CB that has a higher current rating. But I won't recommend this, because I do believe that standard power cords are rated 15A. Ask a certified electrician about the NEC code. You don't want to burn up your other electronics if there is a power surge and the higher rated CB can't protect your devices.

DX8.1???????????????????????????????????????????????

bad connection either mobo or vid card, try it in your other pc you have sitting there and try updating your windows components to something current.

Maybe I should ask this first, did the CB trip??????

If it didn't, then you won't have to change the CB. If you are sure it is a power surge, you can go to Tweeter, or best buy, and buy a noise filter. They are pretty expensive and cost around $100. They will filter out all the noises, and give you clean power. Even if there is a surge, they will suppress that and you won't see your problem.

Just make sure this is your problem before you spend that extra money.

Aww c'mon itizme there's nothing wrong with dx 8.1 =D at least not nothing that would warrant 47 question marks... I updated to 9.0c right before i left for work. I'd be willing to bet Kenshiro's probably close to the right answer, if anything it has a great deal to do with a ton of crap being plugged into the outlet. I will try to see if i can shift around some of my stuff and get electrical items more evenly distributed across my household outlets.

I agree there is nothing wrong with DX8.1, on a 9800 in 2004 doesnt make sense IMHO
I didnt think that the question was regarding the flickering though but definately a good idea to see if the loads exceed the capabilities of the circuits they are fed from.
Can you try the card in another rig though???

Sounds like the power surge is timed with an AC or refrigerator kicking on or off. Also . . is the video card over clocked?? Have the latest drivers? (DX8.1??) What OS??

Z

Needed 9.0c for this latest push in wow beta, so i have that now. Using Win XP (SP 1) Using the latest Omega drivers. But i think you may be right Zuzzz i have a wall unit ac plugged into the same surge as my computer. Unfortunately space is at an extreme premium right now... this computer is in my closet, and there's really no more room for it at another outlet. It's been very good to me as of let, no shutdowns in the past 3 days....since i upgraded to Dx 9.0c... I won't say it's fixed yet, but working well atm

I had a similar issue with an AC unit thus I mentioned it. Poor power or dirty power to a PC can and will reek havoc on your stuff. If anything consider an extention cord or somethingto move the PC or AC to another curcuit.

Z

Back