• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Clear History takes a while sometimes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soundfx4

As of lately I began to wonder about something. When I go to internet options and click clear history it will take a good few seconds sometimes, but most the time it will not. On other computers I have installed Windows XP on, they will always clear the history quickly with a clean install, but as things get added, it takes longer, even if the history isn't but a few sites big. Anyone know why it does this? It is pretty annoying, and I am curious as to why it does this at all.

The index may be corrupt...Delete/Empty Temporary Internet Cache completely. How To:, and with most OS's...

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm
To delete the History folder and index.dat (XP)

* Log on as Administrator and delete the desired <username> folder and reboot (or log on as another user that has Administrator privileges)

Example: "C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\HISTORY"

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll try that out in a little bit, but first I got to go look for some 23" Widescreen displays :D

Back