• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sempron 3100+ OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm hitting 2.4ghz at 1.55v with mine. That's with extremely cheap cooling. I'm probably going to put my Alpha back on there and get a new power supply to see if I can get some more out of it.

I haven't seen many other reports, but I do remember one getting above 2500mhz. They should O/C as well as most CG Athlon 64s.

Shade00 said:
I'm hitting 2.4ghz at 1.55v with mine. That's with extremely cheap cooling. I'm probably going to put my Alpha back on there and get a new power supply to see if I can get some more out of it.

I haven't seen many other reports, but I do remember one getting above 2500mhz. They should O/C as well as most CG Athlon 64s.
Hey thats pretty damn good. Thats better than my mobile :eek:

I installed the Alpha on my Sempron and I'm priming at 2.5ghz/1.55v (probably closer to 1.6v) right now. I'll come back when I find out what the max is.

With the cheap cooler I had before the max I could get was 2.4ghz. It could also be my power supply, as the video card I was using previously was eating up juice. I guess I'll have to order a new power supply along with the new video card next week.

Well, looks like I finally reached 2.5ghz stable.

2500.JPG

Voltage is more like 1.6v, but still not bad.

Shade00,

I'm building a Sempron 3100+ system this week. What MOBO and memory are you using?

I'm going for at least 2.5-3.0Ghz with liquid cooling.

Stev

stev said:
Shade00,

Duh, me! I should have read your system listed on the post! :rolleyes:

Stev

Haha, no problem.

I love my motherboard, but they're nearly impossible to find.

Right now, the absolute best S754 board you can buy is the DFI board. If you're aiming for a great overclock, it'll get you there.

As for memory, I use this Crucial stuff because it can hit decent speeds without excessive volts. This board is limited to a measly 2.75v. I would recommend going for either OCZ EB, Crucial Ballistix, or even some BH-5 if you can find it.

You ever try raising the volts on your memory to say 2.8-2.9 because I believe they contain Micron mT -5B D chips. Someone before did some OCing with them and got some good results.

Catalan said:
You ever try raising the volts on your memory to say 2.8-2.9 because I believe they contain Micron mT -5B D chips. Someone before did some OCing with them and got some good results.

Max volts I can give is 2.8 in BIOS, and that's actually about 2.75v. I can still hit 250mhz/3-3-3-8/1T with them, though.

I hit 2.6GHz with my newcastle 3200+ and I get twice the cache and 64 bits as well. If you can afford to spend a bit more, get a newcastle by all means!

Overclocker550 said:
I hit 2.6GHz with my newcastle 3200+ and I get twice the cache and 64 bits as well. If you can afford to spend a bit more, get a newcastle by all means!

Congratulations. Does that mean my chip sucks?

No. Of course I would say get a Newcastle if you don't mind spending the extra cash. But 64-bit capability won't mean anything for quite some time, and for a budget user, the extra cache makes very little difference.

This chip probably has 2.6ghz in it. I'm going to need a bit better cooling and a better PSU to get there, though.

Well, I already have an A64 3000+ NC CG, an A64 3200+ CH CG (hopefully says ADA3200AEP5AR on their site) on the way, XP-M 2500+ IQYHA, and a 1700+ DLT3C JIUHB. Just wanted to experiment with different types of CPUs to see how they OC and which to use for a client.

Catalan said:
Well, I already have an A64 3000+ NC CG, an A64 3200+ CH CG (hopefully says ADA3200AEP5AR on their site) on the way, XP-M 2500+ IQYHA, and a 1700+ DLT3C JIUHB. Just wanted to experiment with different types of CPUs to see how they OC and which to use for a client.
LOL, thats quite a lineup! How do the newcastles OC as compared to the Clawhammers?

Oh, yeah, sorry for the threadjack :-/

Shade00 said:
Newcastle CGs do typically give a bit more than Clawhammer CGs. They give a LOT more than C0 chips.
Cool, thanks. Do you think the increased OC potential with less cache on the newcastles is better/more worth the investment than having more cache on the clawhammers but with slightly less OC potential?

EDIT: I just realized that this is prettymuch what EVERYONE is asking right now :rolleyes: Boy do I feel like a sheep....

I should recieve my Clawhammer today hopefully its a CG it says AR on their site, but who knows. Sad thing is my gig of pqi memory w/ tccd I recieved yesterday had a bad stick so I'm RMAing them today, but I'll be able to see how far I can push it with one 512 pqi tccd stick.

I never said your chip sucks, but the loss of half the cache is worth 200MHz so your 2.5GHz is like a 2.3GHz newcastle or 2.1GHz claw

Overclocker550 said:
I never said your chip sucks, but the loss of half the cache is worth 200MHz so your 2.5GHz is like a 2.3GHz newcastle or 2.1GHz claw

Yeah, well you need to stop bragging and pimping your chip. I know what your chip can do. You talk about it in almost every post.

I also seem to recall that it's not really stable at 2.6ghz.

Back