• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How Do I Remove An7 Northbridge Fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tabari3a

An7 Northbridge fan is failing. How do I remove it? Do I absolutely have to remove the motherboard from the case?

I do overclock (currently at 11.5 x 200) I purchased a slk 900a for my 2500+ mobile which I will install this weekend. Did not purchase SP97 because I didn't want to remove motherboard to install it.

Please tell me there is a way to remove and replace the stock northbridge fan on my An7 without taking the mb out of the case.

is this your motherboard?
an7-top-500.jpg

if so, i think you have to remove your motherboard to release the push-pins :-/

why dont you want to remove the motherboard from the case?

Yes, that's my mb.

I really don't want to remove the mb from the case because this was my first build and I'll have to almost un-build :eek: the system to remove the motherboard. Even though the build went smoothly and my system booted up on the first try, I just didn't want to tear it down and rebuild it.

Are you sure there's no other alternative to removing mb from case to remove nb fan? Is there a fix for the stock nb fan which slows down and stops spinning completely at times?

Thanks,
Carol

Last edited:
You can try using a hair dryer and aiming at the fan and getting it warm. DO THIS AT OWN RISK. This might warm up the glue enought to release it.

Other than that the only other way I know is the freezer trick. Wrap MB in an AIR TIGHT ziplock bag with NO AIR in bag if possible and leave in freezer for about 15 mins. That will freeze glue and should be able to remove fan that way.

Make sure you clean surface of NB with 92+% isopropal alcohol before installing new fan on MB.

Hope this helps u

squirtle632 said:
You can try using a hair dryer and aiming at the fan and getting it warm. DO THIS AT OWN RISK. This might warm up the glue enought to release it.

Other than that the only other way I know is the freezer trick. Wrap MB in an AIR TIGHT ziplock bag with NO AIR in bag if possible and leave in freezer for about 15 mins. That will freeze glue and should be able to remove fan that way.

Make sure you clean surface of NB with 92+% isopropal alcohol before installing new fan on MB.

Hope this helps u

that would be the next problem ;) first he has to release the push-pins, once the pins are loose, you can remove the NB cooler by twisting it of (DO NOT pull it of, twist it of :)) prepare to be working on the stock "thermal pad" for some time, because its a ***** to remove ;)

now about removing the motherboard, i have an Intel abit motherboard, so i dont have push-pins, but i do know how they work, so i think you have to remove the motherboard.. otherwise you wont be able to ...squize? the pins together...

Do you already have a replacement cooler? because the stock heatsink/fan is one piece, you cant recycle the heatsink :-/ i can recommend the zalman NB-47J NB cooler, its a very good cooler, as long as you have got some air circulating in your case.

Dont worry, if you were able to build your PC, you can also rebuild it :) you will have to change a motherboard once in your life, so why not start now? just be carefull, make sure your not static, and put the pieces in safe places, work carefully, and it will work out :)

good luck!

edit: Jognt --> smiley abuser!

edit2: i guess abit needs to review their stock coolers, since my abit ic7-g stock cooler also died on me...

Back