• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

video card recommendations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

painterh

Registered
I am looking for the best video card I can buy for around $100 . I use this machine (see sig ) for my business, but I also like to play an occasional game. The cards I have been looking at are Gecube radeon 9550xt and a couple of different Geforce 5700le cards. Any thoughts, recommendations, or suggestions would helpful.

re:

Would there be any advantage to using an Nvidia card over Ati on a mobo with nforce chipset? I had heard of miscellaneous conflicts with ati drivers and so forth. Also, what about a Geforce fx5500?

The FX5500 isn't worth it. You should browse the for sale forums for some good deals on used cards. 9700 Pro's can be found for around 100 now and 9600 pros for under 100. I've used ATI cards on the Nforce2 and Nforce3 chipset and never had any problems or conflicts.

painterh said:
Would there be any advantage to using an Nvidia card over Ati on a mobo with nforce chipset? I had heard of miscellaneous conflicts with ati drivers and so forth. Also, what about a Geforce fx5500?

No,there is no problem using an ATI card on a Nvidia chipset.
Forget the FX5500.Get a TI4200.

You need 100 posts to get into the classifieds, but scamming will get you banned.

I think the 9550xt looks nice. 128bit ram, and it has a 9600's core so it will overclock like a dog. The Ti4200 is a lot faster though.

Get that 9500 from the post above. Use the omega drivers to unlock the extra pipelines, and you will have a card far superior to any other around $100.

Back