• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bigpackets for a dedicated folder with 256MB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gungeek

I'm setting up a dedicated folding rig (24/7) using an xp1900 with 256MB of PC2100 memory. Would this be a good candidate for setting Bigpackets ON and -advmethods? Will this fold slower on the big proteins compared to having 512MB? Win2K will be the operating system if that makes any difference.

That will be fine if all it does is fold... FAH will roughly take 150MB of memory, leaving about 100MB or so for the system. If you were to actually use the machine with only 256MB of ram, it becomes a nightmare.

nikhsub1 said:
If you were to actually use the machine with only 256MB of ram, it becomes a nightmare.

Been there, done that! I had my work computer doing big packets with 256MB and typical office work. The computer wasn't very useful. I asked nicely and they installed another 256MB stick. Now it folds big packets and doesn't bog down when I actually use the computer for work purposes :D

I have XPproSP2 on a Xeon duallie with 512Mb RAM. It runs OK but I keep an eye out for my available memory now as I freaquently dip below 100Mb free memory. I have to watch how many browser window tabs I can open now. I'm ordering 2x512Mb in a couple of weeks next payday. Then I can go 4xBP and still have lots of RAM to spare.

This is good to know because I am about to pick up some sticks of ram for my "mini farm". Thanks for the help.

Clint

Back