• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RIP, my dear 9800XT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Don K

Does anybody know the kill-temp for a R360 (9800XT) core?

I've reached 82 degrees when gaming, for a couple weeks and now I've got Vertical, green artifacts even upon boot.

I've tried everything:

-Multiple bios Flashes

-Catalyst replacement

-Added a fan (which took 10 degrees off the top on the GFX)

Is my card roasted, or am I completely missing something?

Sounds like it is too hot. What you say appears to be a mem problem. After booting into windows lower the core and memory speeds significantly. It will take a while for it to cool off (5 minutes), so just turn the comp off, but make sure you are set to boot at those lowered speeds. If that doesn't do anything or if it even does, remove the heatsink form the card and reapply arctic silver and make sure it is making good contact with the core.

82°? wow..... I don't like mine going over 65°...... hopefully it isn't dead.... like Quailane said, underclock it and see if you have the same problem.

Well, its underclocked to 200/200 and still the same...

I'll disasemble the cooler, and see if the connections are ok.

Meanwhile, what IS the kill-temp (or permanent damage-temp) of a R360 core?

What do you guys think, is my core permanently damaged (I thought that would mean, no picture at all?), or "just" showing signs of acute high temps?

Back