• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

first time ocing a cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ati

i just got into overclocking my cpu (after i saw the performace gain on the graphics card)heres the specs.(somewhat of an outdated comp)
Epox 4g-4a+ board
pentuim 4 2.00ghz
76.6gig hdd
20gig hdd
400watt psu
well i overclocked it to 2.20ghz and upped the vcore from 1.500 to 1.525.
when i run the burn-in test in sisoftware for about 20 cycles xp crashes and i get a a blue screen.what is wrong? the temps go to about 46c cpu and 27c case. idle is 33c and 26c
heres the message i get,an XP BOD?
DSC08231.jpg

Last edited:
What ram are you running and what speed is it running at your oc'ed setting? If you jumped from 2.00 to 2.20 that's a jump of 10 mhz on your FSB if you have a 2.0A and a jump of 14 mhz if you have the 2.0B.

What might be happening is that your ram is running overclocked as well and that you didn't increase your vdimm when you oc'ed you processor. Try raising your vdimm (memory voltage) a little and see if that helps

Good Luck :)

Ah, the blue screen of death... Are you using the stock h/s?? If you want to really o/c looking into buying an aftermarket h/s is crucial. Thermalright makes really good h/s. mtb856, is right, your ram may be limiting you, so bump up the vdimm. Good luck!

ok i made the vcore 1.550 and i added .30v to the vdimm. btw i have a 256mb pc2100 mushkin ram.right now im on the 50th out of 200 cycle on sisoftware sandra and its not showing any signs to problems.the temps are 45c and 31c. how many cycles should i run sandra to see if my system is stable?.and have i reached the maximum OC limit for my CPU?

The last time I saw that screen it was my Hard Drive gone bad. Everything pointed to my memory when I researched the code but it was the hard drive.

Galador, when you got that screen had you been running an untested overclock? If you had, then you probably were getting HDD corruption as you added and deleted programs and the cpu made errors all the time.... errors that it saved when you shut your computer off.

ati, instead of running Sandra bench program... which doesn't tell you if you're cpu is creating errors, download Prime 95 and run the Torture Test ( it's in Options, choose the option that says " a little ram is tested") for about 5 hours or so. If your cpu passes Prime, then you should be able to oc higher.

Your ram is going to be a big limiting factor, you may want to consider finding some faster ram ( DDR 466 or so) if you really want to oc high. You may not need the fast ram now, but you'll probably upgrade your cpu in the future and it's cheaper to buy the faster ram now rather than buy slow ram and then have to buy faster ram later.

-Meatball

Meatball's right. Prime95 is probably your best bet for stability testing.

I would crank things back down to stock settings and start from the beginning again. Move FSB up one, if Prime95 runs fine for a while, repeat. If it fails, increase vcore/vdimm and see how things go. Your temperatures seem to give you enough room to still push the voltage.

And yes, your RAM is definitely going to be a hurdle for you. I would be a little surprised if it stopped you with such a little FSB increase though.

Almost sounds like PCI bus too far out of spec. If your mobo allows you to lock the AGP/PCI to 66/33, then do that first. A stock cooler should handle a 2.2 gig O/C with no problem. You might need to improve case ventilation a little though. Several other people mentioned RAM, but PC2100 should be fine up to 133 FSB using the 1:1 ratio.

Back