• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3.0C OR 3.0E?which should i go with?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KHF

I currently want to upgrade my CPU(2.8C) and want to OC it to 250FSB or above(If it can). which will overclock BETTER? 3.0C or 3.0E (D0)?

I believe the C will overclock better but your best bet is to do a search to get the most information. Even I had this exact question a couple months ago.

There is not a simple answer. The Prescott will probably O/C higher and perform better, but since it runs much hotter, there is a lot of cooling work to be done (see the link in my signature). The Northwood is much easier. I see in your signature you already have a 2.8C running at 250 FSB. Getting a 3.0C will mean 3.75 gig at 250 FSB, but is an extra 250 MHz really worth the extra cash?

my 2.8c now is not able to run at 250 fsb , the highest fsb i can get in my 2.8c is 220 fsb at 1.65v with watercoolling , dont know why . so i really want to get a new cpu and sell my 2.8c to my friend. batboy I see ur rig . ur 3.0c is running at 3.8 what stepping is ur 3.0c?

I think you should go with the 3.0E. I had both the C and E. I bought the C cuz I thought it would run cooler and faster, I was wrong. The E is faster when overclocked and it does run hotter, but only by 5C or so. Go with the E, actually go with the 3.2E, and get the D0.

I have a similar dilemma, I guess. I'm looking at a 3.0C or 3.0E, but wondering if I'm being realistic in my expectation of a higher OC.

My P4P800 Deluxe is currently running at 292 fsb 1:1 with my trusty 2.4c on air. What can I realistically expect from a 3.0 CPU?

ChuckS said:
I have a similar dilemma, I guess. I'm looking at a 3.0C or 3.0E, but wondering if I'm being realistic in my expectation of a higher OC.

My P4P800 Deluxe is currently running at 292 fsb 1:1 with my trusty 2.4c on air. What can I realistically expect from a 3.0 CPU?

i highly doubt youll see siginificant improvement by upgrading to a 3.0c or 3.0E..

that 2.4c @ 3.48 of yours is already a kickas*....

What you should really do is spend an extra $30 and get a 3.2E and flash your bios back to 1015 on your Asus board so you get the 14 multi :)
This will give you the high FSB you are looking for cause with a 14 multi you are starting stock at 229FSBX14=3.2 This only works with the 3.2E and non of the other Prescotts on the 478 socket.

If you want a direct comparison of 3.0C vs. 3.0E, then check out this thread.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=311899

I've had two Prescotts and both averaged about 10 degrees hotter than their Northwood counterpart. I have two bits of advise if you are thinking of getting a Prescott. 1) Read the cooling article listed in my signature and 2) Get the 3.2E D0 stepping (SL7KC or SL7E5).

KHF, if I remember right, my 3.0C has a s-spec of SL6WU. I have the exact specs written down in my notebook at home. I do know for sure that it's a D1 stepping and has 12 caps.

I just got a 3.0E that does 245 100% stable, and 250 somewhat stable. My 3.0C would only do 240 max. Temps are a lot higher on the E, but i like the performance i got. My 3.0E is a D0.

Hi,

To change the subject a little, I've got the original 2.4C, the SL6WF, together w/the Abit IC-7 m/b, r1.0, when it was first introduced last year. The 2.4C is a great overclocker, 250 MHz right out of the box, and w/the Intel retail HSF and ArcticSilver3 t/c.

I'm presently running the distributed computer program BOINC-ClimatePrediction, and wonder if the Prescott's 1 meg L2 cache would be of any advantage vs. the 512K of the Northwoods? Say a 3.0E vs the 3.0C, not taking o/cablility into account. I've read that the longer piplines of the Prescott hurt it in some applications vs. that of the Northwood.

Of course I would o/c it, I already have the best heatsink available for it, the Thermalright SP-94.

The 2.4C does go higher than 250 MHz, but at the expense of the memory performance. At 12x 250 MHz, I run 2-2-2-5, and at 12x 255 MHz, it has to go down to 2-3-3-5, in order to run Prime95 successfully.

Thx.

GoHack said:
Hi,

To change the subject a little, I've got the original 2.4C, the SL6WF, together w/the Abit IC-7 m/b, r1.0, when it was first introduced last year. The 2.4C is a great overclocker, 250 MHz right out of the box, and w/the Intel retail HSF and ArcticSilver3 t/c.

I'm presently running the distributed computer program BOINC-ClimatePrediction, and wonder if the Prescott's 1 meg L2 cache would be of any advantage vs. the 512K of the Northwoods? Say a 3.0E vs the 3.0C, not taking o/cablility into account. I've read that the longer piplines of the Prescott hurt it in some applications vs. that of the Northwood.

Of course I would o/c it, I already have the best heatsink available for it, the Thermalright SP-94.

The 2.4C does go higher than 250 MHz, but at the expense of the memory performance. At 12x 250 MHz, I run 2-2-2-5, and at 12x 255 MHz, it has to go down to 2-3-3-5, in order to run Prime95 successfully.

Thx.

My best guess is that in straigth comparison the 3.0C will outperform the 3.0E untill you get to 3.5 or 3.6. However, the 3.0E will likely OC higher than the 3.0, and once it starts kickin' ***, it will leave the Northwood behind bigtime. :sn:

Back