• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best HSF for XP 2800?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TonyKlem

hey guys, i have and Abit NF7-S mobo and i have 1gb of corsair 3200, eVga Ti4400 128, and an xp2800. when i play a game like warcraft 3 or something, after about 20 minutes i get a BSOD. something about dumping something or other. im not sure if its heat related or not. but thats my guess. so im lookin to get whats best for my xp2800 to be happy.

im not overclocked AT ALL at the moment.

im getting 48c idle and about 52c in a game. im using Winbond hardware doctor from abit's website. i have arctic silver and a volcano 7 on it... i dunno something is wierd... and its definately not hot in my house. about 67-68F

edit: 47c idle with case side off

Last edited:
Well, with those temps I don't think that heat is your problem. I suspect that it could be your memory and my suggestion would be to run Memtest86 to see if this is your problem.

If not, it might have been that your overall OS system has corrupted itself slightly somehow. You could try doing a WinXP Repair install and see if this helps.

Some things to consider ...
Video card could be overheating ...
Power supply can't hold the load ...
Vcore and or Vdimm not adjusted high enough .

i doupt its heat related i had my 2800 to ~60C and it never BSOD. I would run memtest, see if your GPU heatsink is hot, reinstall XP, reaseat your HS, and if all that dosent work take everything apart, let it sit and put it all back together(i dono why but this has fixed problem atleast 2 times for me). ALso try using only 1 stick of ram, then using just the otherone to se if you have a bad stick.

a quick test - go gaming with the side of your case off and a desk fan blowing in. Use a really savage game - Doom3, CoD etc. If you still crash out on BSoD, then it's not a thermal problem at all. Most likely your power supply can't handle the load to your GPU / CPU. To fix, first make sure that the power line to your GPU (if you have a separate one - eg 9800 and up) is clean - DO NOT put GPU in series with fans / HDDs etc. etc.

If that doesn't work, you need a better PSU. This was the problem I was having with a Q-Tec Ultra-Quiet 350W. Upgraded to a SeaSonic Super Tornado 400W and it's quieter, more stable and results in lower case temps (120mm fan on it's underside, rather than one 80mm low rpm ADDA fan).

Also try running (with case back on) Prime on Torture test using little memory and then alot of memory. If you don't crash out of Prime on low memory usage, your CPU and HS is fine thermally.

If you crash out on high memory then look to your memory sticks (try Memtest) or your Northbridge is unhappy, though if you're not OCing the FSB you should be fine.

If you're not crashing yet, then sounds like your video card is too hot. VGA Silencer is the answer here!

Quailane said:
A thermalright slk-900a is an excellent choice, if you can find one.

and speaking of which, I have a slk-900 that I just mounted, I've used it for about 1 week now?
I get 37c idel and about 44c at load with my fan around 2900rpm.

If you want this heatsink let me know, I'm sorta wanting to try some other hinksinks on the market.

I got a good deal when I purchased this slk-900, so if you want it I can let it go for a good deal as well.

well i dont thik its my PSU i have a vantec stealth 520w
Link
http://www.vantecusa.com/product-powersupply.html#

heres a pic of a NEW error i never got before (not BOSD)

Warcraft3Error.jpg

and about my ram i dont know why it wouldnt be happy what i would do to fix it, its corsair 3200 2x512 (exact same 2 sticks)

what would i do if it is my NB? how do i find out if it is?

thanks for all the help guys im trying new stuff

P.S. i got registry mechanic and ran it, it fixed a bunch of crap. i have only tried to play once since that and i got the error above. sooo i dunno whats goin on

I would suspect the RAM might have a bad spot in it. My roomee had the same problem that his system and it turned out that one of his RAM sticks was bad.

Also, what video drivers are you running?

For that matter, what error message do you BSOD give you? IRQ_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL? <- BAD driver

Foxy

i use latest drivers on nvidias site i dont remember what the bsod gave me though

edit: my prime95 wont run more than 6 minutes.... it says
"FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4908905029, expected less than 0.4"

whats that mean

Last edited:
yeah, if you can get your hands on a thermalright sp-97, get that. you'll probably have to check e-bay to get one of those. it's the best air cooling you can get for an axp. otherwise, go with the slk-900. with regards to a fan, if you don't care about how loud your computer is, go with a 92mm vantec tornado. otherwise, go with a 92mm vantec stealth or 92mm panaflo. don't forget to buy some arctic silver 5 thermal compound to mount it.

Remove one stick of memory and try it , sometimes nForce2 boards don't like 2 X 512M sticks .

Waachback said:
For the money yes, but the SP-97 is better for cooling if your willing to dish out the extra cash.
Gotta disagree there... the SLK-900 is king of the heatsinks, as per this . Check my signature, my tornado is idling along at 7V and keeping my overclock at the listed temps, Awesome heatsink, but rough find.

PurposeSoap said:
and speaking of which, I have a slk-900 that I just mounted, I've used it for about 1 week now?
I get 37c idel and about 44c at load with my fan around 2900rpm.

If you want this heatsink let me know, I'm sorta wanting to try some other hinksinks on the market.

I got a good deal when I purchased this slk-900, so if you want it I can let it go for a good deal as well.
you cant try to sell stuff in the regualr forums, you need to be around long enough to access the classifieds.

Welcome.

Back