• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X800pro Pencil Volt Mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spyd3r

Hi, I've decided to try to overclock my Asus AX800Pro/TD and it reaches 527.54/531.00 stable in ATiTool looking for Max mem and Max core. I'm also in the process of ordering in the ATi4 Silencer thanks to some good reviews on the internet and here on it. (Thanks DreIU for the review too)

Now I've checked out on the internet for the volt mod which I won't do until the card arrives(if I do decide to do it in the end). I've checked out how to do it but I was wondering how do I place the marks using the pencil.

Like am I supposed to draw around the resistor?

Thanks a whole bunch guys.

Edit: Sorry, spelt DreIU wrong.

Last edited:
You draw around the resistor R1597. The pencil should make contact to the resistor. YOur core will do some more but it wont affect your memory or at least not by much.

Actually, you want to 'color' the resistor with the pencil. Think of how a 5 year old kid would 'color' a rock with a crayon. Don't draw around it, actually work the graphite across the top of the resistor. When done correctly, the ONLY PLACE the graphite should be is across the top of the resistor and not on the PCB (the board).

If this is your first pencil mod, you must be very careful of what you're doing. Pencil lead is not any sort of precise science; you need to keep track of the resistance change with a high quality digital voltmeter. I believe the X800Pro core voltage feedback resistor was ~372 ohms in my card, which resulted in 1.48vgpu stock. By moving it to 354 ohms, it resulted in 1.56vgpu. It doesn't take much graphite to pull the resistance down by 18 ohms; if you laid it on too thick and weren't watching, it's quite possible to burn up your chip just by turning it on.

Back