• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Geforce4 Ti 4600 fan won't spin... help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TehGoober

It's odd, the fan just won't spin anymore. I've unplugged and replugged and sometimes (not all of the time, just some of the time) it will start spinning and then stop. I've plugged a different fan in and that won't spin either. Any suggestions? I'd imagine the pins connected to the board are somehow damaged and I might have to RMA the card. (Love that Asylum life time warranty.)

my 4200 fan died too, nvr ran fast tho, i have a p3 800 tho... that might be it... i get the new fan from newegg tomorrow, hopefully that helps. soon as someone tells me how to get the multiplier to work in the bios ima mess with that

yep, my 4600's fan died a few months ago, overheated during farcry, crazy artifacting at stock...i thought i had killed it, but then i ripped out the stupid stock fan and put a casefan on it, worked fine. Then i sold it...
moral of the story- 4600 fans seem to die after a while, was it a PNY card?
if you want to just replace the hsf, you can get them online somewhere (i forget, just look), or you can use it as an excuse to get a new card.

newegg sells the stock replacements, and also sells the better coolers tat i get in the mail today cause ine stopped :)

My brother's fan on his stopped spinning, I took the card out and tried to spin the fan with my finger and it was pretty hard to turn it.

I popped off the heatsink and fan took it apart and put a little gel type 3 in 1 oil in it and worked it in by spinning it. put it all back together and used some good compound and it works fine now.

If it's hard to turn the fan with your finger this could be the problem, I'm not sure why it was like that but it's working now.

Note: you may have to break a fin off of the fan to get to the screws, not sure though I think his was a 4200.

You don't have to break the fin off.... I had the exact same problem with my 4200 and you just need to use a VERY small screwdriver like the ones used for watches and glasses.
Anyhow try oiling it before you RMA it.

on my 4200 it had cement on it, and i had to scrape off the cement from the gpu w/ a razor, and i htink i messed it up, cause everyhting is garbled up, so i guess its a new card for me...

Back