• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3.2GHz @ 4GHz+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Graphicism

Almost ready to order my parts for my new system after asking around and learning from this forum for a week now.

I am looking to run a stable 4GHz P4 with HT (4GHz x 2) that will remain cool and usable. Here is my wish list:

CPU: LGA 775 P4 3.2GHz -OR- 3.4GHz

COOLER: COOLER MASTER KHC-V81-U1 http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1568

RAM: 1GB kit (512MBX2) PC-4000 500MHz (CAS Latency: 2.5-3) DDR Hyperam
http://www.komusa.com/1gbkit5pc50d.html

MOBO: ASUS "P5GD2 Premium" (unlocked)

HARD DRIVE: 2xSeagate 7200.7 SATA2 (160GB)

CASE: Moded case
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=3097078#post3097078

Very possible? What would you change if anything?

You won't tell the difference between 200mhz. And I'm sure the price is a lot more for the 3.4.

And you mentioned 4ghz x2...Please don't think that HT means you'll be having anything like 2 processors. I see a huge difference having 2 of my P2's in, than having HT enabled...And yes, I do relized the 2ghz speed difference. :p

Ughhh the Asus P5GD2 uses DDR2 RAM, you have DDR RAM listed there, which isn't compatible with that mobo. You need DDR2 RAM.

Didn't even notice that. Yes, you need DDR2 for all LGA775 motherboards. If you want to use DDR1, you'll need to back down to a socket 478.

And that computer will remain usable, but not cool. That CPU will be putting out major heat. It can take it, but I suggest liking a warm room.

Foxie3a said:
Didn't even notice that. Yes, you need DDR2 for all LGA775 motherboards. If you want to use DDR1, you'll need to back down to a socket 478.

And that computer will remain usable, but not cool. That CPU will be putting out major heat. It can take it, but I suggest liking a warm room.

Actually the 915 chipset supports either DDR2 or DDR. It's up to the mobo manufacturer as to which memory standard they design the board around. All 925 chipsets, however, support only DDR2.

I understand I won't be able to tell the difference between 3.2 and 3.4 GHz, however I was thinking it would be easier to reach 4GHz with a 3.4GHz cpu?

I know HT doesn't mean you have 2 processors, I would just like to be able to enable this and use it features. I plan to use this machine for graphic design etc.

Which DDR2 Ram do you recommend with low-latency to achieve 4GHz?

3.4 - 4GHz shouldn't really run that hot? You have read about the unlocked mobo right?

Fan I'm getting runs super cool at: 50w-12.4 100w-23.4

I see two things wrong with the original post. DanIdentity caught the first one which was that mobo only uses DDR2 RAM (the Asus P5GD1 and Abit AG8 both use regular DDR RAM though).

The other problem is that Cooler Master cooler that was listed will not fit LGA775 CPUs. There ain't many coolers that do fit LGA775 sockets yet. The Gigabyte 3D Rocker Cooler Pro and the Thermaltake Jungle are the main ones that come to mind. Nothing exceptional available yet.

Low latency and DDR2 are sort of incompatible at this time. Probably about the best latency DDR2 would be the Ballistix, but I'm not positive about that. A-Data makes good DDR2 RAM that is more affordable, but they certainly aren't low latency.

batboy said:
Low latency and DDR2 are sort of incompatible at this time. Probably about the best latency DDR2 would be the Ballistix, but I'm not positive about that. A-Data makes good DDR2 RAM that is more affordable, but they certainly aren't low latency.

According to the Anandtech DDR2 memory roundup, all of their DDR2 modules ran 3-3-3 at 533MHz speeds with very small or no voltage increases. Pretty decent if you ask me, obviously not as good as the 2-2-2 DDR modules, but I think the speeds they run at make up for it.

Oh, and according to a Zalman rep in their forums, LGA775 mounting hardware for the CNPS7000 series of coolers will be available on or around Sept. 30 and their 120mm CNPS7700 cooler, also compatible with LGA775, will be available on or around Oct. 10.

Back