• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fast writes?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brack

Registered
on a mobilty 9600 should i turn on fastwrites for omega drivers? and what does fastwrites mean?

sorry for the posts but i am running without drivers right now and would like to install these omega ones correctly, and soon

fastwrites allows the video card to communicate directly to the processor without going through the system ram. there's less traffic so you'll normally see about 3-5% gain in performance (alot of things can cause different results, i usually get 3-5%).

the downside is a lot of motherboard/video card combinations are not compatible together with fastwrites so you'll get crashes and other video errors (that's what happened with you hippopotumus)

sideband addressing is very similar, you wouldn't use sideband addressing and fastwrites together.

Quoted from john240sx

Fate Writes have been known to cause stability problems, but i think thats been down to motherboards, just enable it if you want. But, i think fast writes need to be turned on in the BIOS before enabling it on the drivers, since the drivers test to see if its on in the BIOS. If it ain't enabled in the BIOS then Fast Writes are not enabled in drivers either.

Hope that clears things up.

And it doesn't give you any performance increase, and if it does it's to little to notice it. It's really up to you if your going to oc that card (which I wouldn't recomend if you to have a longer battery life) you should turn it off if your not you can just leave it on unless you experience any stability problem.

Back