• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3.20E smoking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yikes. Usually your PSU rails will sag before it smokes your powersupply. If it just died randomly with no rail saggage, it was most likely a bad PSU and probably would have died anyways.

So, if anyone has extensive or even moderate PSU rail sagging, better watch out. Usually it will hurt stability before the entire PSU goes though.

Sorry to hear about your loss :(

Check to see that the wall outlet it was plugged into was not in any way damaged, A lot of times you see dead power supplies because of an outlet with a floating neutral or just wired horribly. (It doesn't hurt either)

@md0Cer said:
Yikes. Usually your PSU rails will sag before it smokes your powersupply. If it just died randomly with no rail saggage, it was most likely a bad PSU and probably would have died anyways.

So, if anyone has extensive or even moderate PSU rail sagging, better watch out. Usually it will hurt stability before the entire PSU goes though.

Sorry to hear about your loss :(

i also recommend a cheap UPS, small investement for a lot of innsurance. some cheap ones have small batteries in the event of a short blackout, but not a power outage

question: how can you tell if your psu rails are sagging????

Bet your 12v rail was taking a real beating.
I have a psu with a 32amp 12v rail and with my [email protected] 1.45Vcore if i torture test with prime twice or run super pi i can here my fans on 12v change pitch a little like they have slowed down a bit, 12.2v goes to 11.7 instantly.
Thinking of using 2 psu`s 1 with a excellent 12v for cpu and motherboard and another psu for my 9 fans,hardrive,two ide drives,9800pro.
When i can afford a new mobo and ddr500.

Sorry to hear that mate. I've smoked 2 PSU's with my 2.8E running at 3.8ghz. Antec TruePower 430w and a Q-tec 550w (my fault with both, running my Vapo and too much stuff at once), I noticed my 12v rail took a battering and noticed both PSU's went after the 12v dipped to around 11.6v.

Now days I tweak my OCZ PowerStream 520w 12v rail to around 12.4/12.5v under load if I'm pushing past 4ghz.

bt

Bobtod said:
Sorry to hear that mate. I've smoked 2 PSU's with my 2.8E running at 3.8ghz. Antec TruePower 430w and a Q-tec 550w (my fault with both, running my Vapo and too much stuff at once), I noticed my 12v rail took a battering and noticed both PSU's went after the 12v dipped to around 11.6v.

Now days I tweak my OCZ PowerStream 520w 12v rail to around 12.4/12.5v under load if I'm pushing past 4ghz.

bt

tweaking your PSU's 12V (by increasing it) line doesnt solve the current draw problem..you got to upgrade to a higher capacity PSU ...im a believer in getting an overkill PSU...

**PSU manufacturers should start making a PSU that automatically shuts off when too much current (beyond its rated capacity) is drawn--instead of frying itself or the components attached to it..

Jojo1971 said:
tweaking your PSU's 12V (by increasing it) line doesnt solve the current draw problem..you got to upgrade to a higher capacity PSU ...im a believer in getting an overkill PSU...
point taken, I didn't mean it would solve the problem for an underpowered PSU, just illustrating that the 12v rail gets raped by these pressy's. I found slightly overvolting my 12v rail gave me better stability when pushing hard, even my OCZ PSU dips under 12v when left unadjusted.

Jojo1971 said:
**PSU manufacturers should start making a PSU that automatically shuts off when too much current (beyond its rated capacity) is drawn--instead of frying itself or the components attached to it..
My OCZ does! this was one of the main reasons for buying as well as noise and of course it's one of the most powerful ATX PSU's money can buy ;)

After the experiences I've had with power supplies, I wouldn't even consider running an O/Ced prescott chip with anything less than a GOOD 500w PSU, eg. Antec, PC Power & Cooling, OCZ etc. There are many more good PSU's around but unfortunately a lot of VERY BAD PSUs out there, many with unrealistic ratings that just can't cope with continuous use.

bt

Yep, the OCZ PSU's shut down when the load becomes too great. They tested the 520Watt version on xtremesystems and it ended up shutting down on them trying to run a Prescott at 4.5or 4.6GHZ with a Vapochill. Unfortunately the review is not currently viewable cause they are doing work in the website.

Bobtod have you got the highest wattage ocz psu 520 i think it is, i have heard very good things about this psu i would get one if they werent 100pounds.

I think we should find the best psu for all us prescott owners i!

jenko said:
Bobtod have you got the highest wattage ocz psu 520 i think it is, i have heard very good things about this psu i would get one if they werent 100pounds.

I think we should find the best psu for all us prescott owners i!

yeah I got the 520w and a meanwell 350w for the pelt, I think the OCZ can handle 620w peak for 60secs! You don't wanna know how hot the room gets when I'm benchin, the OCZ PSU is like a hair dryer! (a very quiet one though ;))

If they sold an 800w version I would have bought that! I didn't want to spend £120 (inc vat + p&p) on a PSU but I thought this one will last me being as it is BTX compliant. Hopefully next month I will be giving the PSU a real thrashing with a dri ice pressy/9800 run! Interesting to see if it has enough juice to keep up with the CPU :eek:

I guess I need a bit more power than most due to the vapo. There must be a solid PSU around that's cheaper? The Antec TruePower series comes to mind but they're still quite expensive in the UK.

Like most things in life, quality comes at a price!

bt

danman81 said:
i also recommend a cheap UPS, small investement for a lot of innsurance. some cheap ones have small batteries in the event of a short blackout, but not a power outage

question: how can you tell if your psu rails are sagging????

• 3.3V rail feeds your ram and some motherboard components
  • +5V rail feeds the CPU sometimes, but not as much the case with the Pentium 4
  • +12V rail feeds the CPU, and everything else, partially the video card, hdd's, optical drives, cold cathods, fans, all that stuff

When a rail is sagging, is for example that +12volt rail being at 11.5volts. That type of thing. You can read these through the monitoring programs that come with most motherboards, or you can get mbm5 : http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=311

I also recomend a cheap very high wattage PSU, like a 520+, or a quality 450+ PSU to keep up with the needs of power hungry CPU's and video cards.

Many overclockers go COMPLETELY overboard when they buy these insane high wattage name brand PSU's that cost $250+ or other insane sums of money.

Although, if you are going to be running a Prescott at insane speeds, 4.2+Ghz on more than 1.45vcore, and have the top of the line video card plus drives, and fans, and water pumps, and lights, I might recomend something that is more powerful.

@md0Cer said:
Many overclockers go COMPLETELY overboard when they buy these insane high wattage name brand PSU's that cost $250+ or other insane sums of money.

I was comparing the specs of the Enermax 460 and 620. The only difference is that the 620 can handle 3 Amps more on the 12V rails. Price: double. :(

jszent said:
Just replaced my 500 wt power supply with another.............. just exchanged it today.
The vender told me he has never had 1 come back to him........... He's never had me for a customer.(sp)

Congrats! Glad to see you back in bussines! The vendor doesn't know what he's got coming... :clap: :rolleyes:

jszent said:
yeah I think my mistake was I pushed it to hard...........got to keep my vcore under 1.5v..... if I do I will be golden..........

is the general rule for prescott 3.2e vcores? keep it under 1.5? what if i need long term stability? (24/7 for months at a time)

Back