• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Time Builder needs help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

user4711

Registered
I just put together a system with Abit IC7Max 3, 2.4a P4, 512 gigs of memory, 80 gigs HHD,DVD drive,FDD, a fresh copy of XP,and SP2 via CD. Boots up real nice but takes almost two minutes to shut down. :bang head Also: I tried to install MS train sim. Double click on the drive in "my computer" wouldnt do it. Had to use "add program" in Control. The program starts but wont read some base files and so wont play. Is this because it was in my previous machine? Do I need to buy all new games? :confused: :mad: :cry:

Boots up real nice but takes almost two minutes to shut down
Windows XP Shutdown Troubleshooter
Also: I tried to install MS train sim
Is the version of the program compatible with XP?
Double click on the drive in "my computer" wouldnt do it
Wouldn't do what...open? Were you trying to view the drive contents so as to run the executable (IOW, the autoplay functon doesn't work?...the EXE won't run when double clicking on it or trying to run it from the Run box?).
Is this because it was in my previous machine?
Because what was in your previous machine...the game or the CDROM?

Last edited:
I'm not yet on the internet with the new computer so I haven't yet updated the drivers,Thanx for the link to the shutdown trouble shooter. I ran the train sim on a gateway 300 with XP SP1a previously so I know its compatible.When I put the cd in the optical drive it did not autoplay so I opened "my computer". Even tho I could hear the cd spinning ,the thumbnail for the drive did not indicate that anything was in it.usually the icon will name the disc. right click would not open context menu, a double left click did not start autoplay ( it usually does). The game was finally installed by using "AddProgram" reached thru the control panel. It seemed to install OK and it even opened and started as it should .When I got to the screen that asks you to pick a train or route I got an error message( and I wish I had written it down) CANNOT READ TRAIN DATA FILE ( or something similar) I did a repair to the game installation but got the same error message. game is currently uninstalled. this is a Microsoft gameand I thought there may be something in it that would prevent it being installed on a second computer. As they do with the OSes. And yes, the play cd was in the proper machine. I later installed Midnight Club 2 and this runs and plays fine.

Are you sure there's not a problem with the Train Sim disk? It may be scratched or just dirty, or even have a small hairline crack. Is the DVD-ROM the only drive on the controller, or is it sharing the controller with the HDD? Make sure the optical drive is the only drive on the controller, unless it's sharing w/ another optical. IOW, don't slave the optical to a HDD on the same controller. Are you using a 40-pin or 80-pin IDE cable to connect the drive to the controller, and is the drive running in Ultra DMA Mode 2 or PIO Mode?

the optical drive is on a separate controller,i'm using the cable that came with the mobo, how do i tell what mode it is in?
I tried to reinstall the train sim last night and it went in and seems to run even though the drive still did not autoplay it ,i had to right click to open and click the EXE. maybe it was just some dirt or smear on the disc.. Thanx for the replies BTW how do i lock the AGPand PCI on my board?

How do i lock the AGPand PCI on my board?
In the BIOS under Softmenu Setup, change the "AGP Ratio (CPU:AGP:pCI)" to Fixed...and change "Fixed AGP/PCI Frequency" to 66/33MHz.
How do i tell what mode it is in?
Open System Properties | "Hardware" tab | "Device Manager" button | Expand "IDE ATA/Atapi controllers" | Depending on whether the optical drive is on the Primary or Secondary controller, right click the controller and select "Properties" | "Advanced Settings" tab | Check the "Transfer Mode" for the device...if it says "PIO Only", use the drop down to choose "DMA if available" | Click OK, then reopen the Channel Properties to make sure it still says "DMA if available".

Much thanks to Redduc900 ,You've been more help than I expected to get. I'll let yoou know how the overclocking goes.

how do I add an avatar?

You need a minimum of 50 posts before being able to use an avatar. At that time you can add it through your "Profile" page.

Back