• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to find what video card im using

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheGreySpectre

that may sound like a very dumb question, but im trying to fix a friends laptop, and the computer won't recognize the video card, Device maneger doesnt know, dxdiag doesnt know, and niether the ati or nvidia drivers work. I also tried some of the intel graphics drivers as well (for the intel gpus) and those didnt work either. the laptop is a Gateway model #450sx4, I tried the gateway diagnostic utility, but it said i was using the wrong browser even though i was using the latest version of internet explorer which is what it recomends

How can i find out what video card the laptop is using w/o opening it up and looking, I think i might try reinstalling the OS to see if it recogizest the graphics driver when I install windows

I hate gateway :mad:

This doesn't say the video card, but it has drivers anyways; http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/getFile.asp?id=19457&uid=63033793

Try that, get back in touch if it didn't work.

EDIT:

If you could, can you get us the part number of the laptop? I have been checking some models of that #450SX4 and it says this about the video card and its specifications:

# ATI M6-P
# 256-bit 3-D and 2-D graphics accelerator
# Support 64-bit DDR SDRAM
# Fully ACPI compliant

Hope that helps.

I think this might work.

1. Right click on desktop and click properties.
2. When the small window pops up click settings on the top tab(its top right corner)
3. Then click advance button on the bottom right.
4. Jus look around in their it should be their.

I have also had some troubles like this but the method always worked for me. it would tell the name of the video device and then i would look for drivers on the web.

Hope it works!

wheres the part # i found the serial number but I don't think there the same

Last edited:
Thanks a lot guys got it to work, although why normal catalyst drivers don't work is beyond me instead i need special gateway ati drivers :bang head

Back