• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB or PS2 mouse for gaming?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
I just recently bought a Logitech MX510 mouse, after reading numerous positive reviews in this forum from other gamers.

This mouse can be used via USB or through the supplied USB->PS2 adapter.

Got a question about USB compared to PS2, though.

Back in the early USB days, it was commonly said that using USB for a mouse was a bit resource intensive and really yielded no benefits over PS2. Today, however, I don't know if things have improved and this isn't true, or what.

One reason for getting a new mouse is that I wanted more precise control in my gaming. I don't know too much about image processing and resolution and how they affect gaming, but I do know that higher resolution (dpi) must be better.

With this is mind, is USB or PS2 better? Do PS2 or USB have any inherent limitations on image processing or resolution or anything? Is USB still the resource hog it used to be? (I've got a fairly recent motherboard, Asus P4P800-E Deluxe.)

Thanks.

I would perhaps try each and see what happens. I still use an old PS2 mouse but afaik USB will use more CPU cycles than PS2.

It probably doesn't matter since the resource requirements for a mouse are so low. I use a PS2 optical mouse and love it.

Jeeze, maybe you had to worry about those spare few cpu cycles when cpus were back in the p2/p3 early days, but now it's not even a concern. The actual cpu usage is less than 1% wich is hardly anything to be worrying about. I've not noticed any hiccups or slowdown on part of my usb mouse in any game... ever. Long story short just plug that baby in a usb port and your ready to go.

theELVISCERATOR said:
def USB..it refreshes much faster than ps2 so less mouse lag...

umm you are wrong there. It the other way around. USB max refresh rate is 125hz, A PS2 max refresh rate is 200hz. You just have to go into the setting and up it. to 200hz off it 100hz default

200hz is faster than 125 hz.

theELVISCERATOR said:
def USB..it refreshes much faster than ps2 so less mouse lag...

Timelessblur said:
umm you are wrong there. It the other way around. USB max refresh rate is 125hz, A PS2 max refresh rate is 200hz. You just have to go into the setting and up it. to 200hz off it 100hz default

200hz is faster than 125 hz.

but wait... This Logitech MX 510 is capable of "Image Processing: 5.8 megapixels/sec; Resolution: 800 dpi"

Is dpi/resolution the same as refresh rate, in this instance? If so, then how does it realize 800 if 200 is the max from PS2 and 125 is the max from USB?

Man I tell ya it doesnt make ANY difference if u use USB or PS2. I'm using a Razer Boomslang 2000dpi for 3 years now. I've used it PS2 and USB, and there is NO difference.

cmcquistion said:
but wait... This Logitech MX 510 is capable of "Image Processing: 5.8 megapixels/sec; Resolution: 800 dpi"

Is dpi/resolution the same as refresh rate, in this instance? If so, then how does it realize 800 if 200 is the max from PS2 and 125 is the max from USB?
That image processing rate is based off the USB port, especially if you have a rig with USB 2.0 support you will definately see in increase in smoothness and snappy responses. When he is referring to the hz rating it's the actual rate at which that interface can handle signal impulses. You have to have the registry settings in windows and in Linux last I checked to up the interfaces signal rate. I personally run my MX510 off USB but hotswap for one and the fact that PS2 is really truly getting outdated for two keeps me off of using PS2. It helps that my keyboard has two USB interfaces as well :)

Give it a shot either way but most mouse tweaking you can do via registry for the logitech mouse is really only beneficial in USB from everything I have read and seen.

J :cool:

far as I can tell there is 0 diffence in speed/reponces time/ accuciy since it well refreshing faster than the monitor can.

the PS2 is nice because it take 0 cpu cycles to use and does not require the CPU. It not a big deal either way expect when you put your computer in standby and you want to wake by clicking you mouse button. That can only be done with a PS2 mouse. If you set it up so the USB mouse can do it your computer can not go to full standby mod.

As for USB "wasting" as USB spot for a mouse it not a big deal to me. I have my mouse routed though a 4 way USB 2.0 hub so I have the extra USB slots to burn.

As for a keyboard I have a ps2 one plug into my computer and a USB wireless one plug in. the PS2 keyboard is just sitting on top of the tower for the just in case. My main mouse is a MX1000 and for all the extra buttons to work it needs to be a USB. I would plug in a 2nd mouse into the PS2 slot if my wired mouse was not acting funning and i had a good spot ot keep it out of the way. Besided my laptop coming in today and I need a mouse for that one :)

SpeeDj said:
That image processing rate is based off the USB port, especially if you have a rig with USB 2.0 support you will definately see in increase in smoothness and snappy responses. When he is referring to the hz rating it's the actual rate at which that interface can handle signal impulses. You have to have the registry settings in windows and in Linux last I checked to up the interfaces signal rate. I personally run my MX510 off USB but hotswap for one and the fact that PS2 is really truly getting outdated for two keeps me off of using PS2. It helps that my keyboard has two USB interfaces as well :)

Give it a shot either way but most mouse tweaking you can do via registry for the logitech mouse is really only beneficial in USB from everything I have read and seen.

J :cool:

Can you point me in the direction of some registry hacks for the MX 510?

SpeeDj said:
You have to have the registry settings in windows and in Linux last I checked to up the interfaces signal rate.
Actually, you don't.

Go into the control panel and into device manager. Expand the "mice and other pointing devices" subsection, and then double click your mouse device. Goto advanced settings tab, and the Sample Rate will be (default) set to 100. You can change this from like 20 to 200. You can also change the buffer length also, although I don't think does much.

can't tell a difference with either my mx700's or intellimouse 4.0's. i did have to hook them up via usb since they don't like working with my kvm.

If you want to u can always use a USB to PS/2 converter to try it out and see which is faster to you. Personally USB is nicer to just hook stuff up on a system thats on almost 24/7 no reboots needed.

Why does everything these days are coming out for the usb, I have 6 usb things 4 in use and two that are not in use but will soon because a friend borrowed my cam and the other one if the my calculator/camera and everything else that doesn't need to be plug in the whole time, I'm running out of these things and yeat i have the printer port and the two coms with nothing why do they even have those there?

Please stop the theoretic talk. There is absolutely no difference. U better use it PS2 because USB keyboard/mouses suck when u want to do stuff like make a image of ur harddrive with norton ghost, and in all those bootable stuff is no USB support, so I highly recommend PS2. Also the bootmenu (F8) is not controlable with a USB keyboard.

GIVE ME A BREAK if there is a diff it probaly isnt noticable since i swithced mines around and didnt realiza ANY difference

No need for anyone to get their panties in a wad.

When I started this thread, it was to discover any TECHNICAL differences/advantages of one interface or the other.

So far, the only technical advantage that I've read in this thread, is that PS2 offers refresh rates up to 200 Hz, while USB only goes up to 125. This seems to me to a technical advantage. I don't know if this refresh rate difference is accurate. I also don't know if there are other considerations, such as interface bandwidth, and whether those are performance issues.

Convenience issues seem to be pretty cut and dry. PS2 has better DOS support and USB is more convenient if you want easy hotswapping.

USB resources, it is claimed, are not the issue that they once were.

Is there anything else that can be added on differences/advantages?

Back