• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

the second that Anandtech review says....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jlo56

the second the Anandtech review says....

...that the 90nm process chips are higher clocked and more overclockable than the socket 754 processors, im selling my DFI 250gb and 3400+ CG Clawhammer :bang head

check back within 2 months, gang....i probably wont be keepin this outdated hardware for long now....you might be able to buy it up for cheap, on account of my failure to research thoroughly before buying hardware

Last edited:
Why?

Even if it does overclock better so what? Only gonna be about 100-200mhz, and thats doubtful.

Suppose it's a good way to waste money. :rolleyes:

cuz i really dont feel like adopting technology thats being phased out with no more upgrade options in the future (not to mention deadend for overclocking)

i got gyped when i bought the willamettes and turned out to be dead-on-arrival....dont want to get burned a second time.....

jlo56 said:
i got gyped when i bought the willamettes and turned out to be dead-on-arrival....dont want to get burned a second time.....

Maby you are burning yourself if you want to buy everything new just for a small bump? It's not really like a willamette vs. northwood situation here..

I gotta agree, it's not really worth it imho..what if you get a crappy overclocker? then you just spent loads of cash in vain..lol.

Heh I usually rationalize an upgrade like this by keeping the old parts and putting them to use in another machine (wife's machine, file server, etc). Its easier on the conscience if you still use the old stuff for some reason ;)

amd_luvarboi said:
I gotta agree, it's not really worth it imho..what if you get a crappy overclocker? then you just spent loads of cash in vain..lol.
Welcome to the forums.

Yeah, sell now, before your gear depreciates in value too much.

I think you should try to be a bit more patient with your purchases next time. However, it is pretty commonly known and UNDERSTOOD that obsolesence is something that cannot be avoided in the computer world. Nevertheless, there has been no secret that AMD has been phasing out the s754 for the s939 to adopt not only enthusiast but mainstream status. Now, we are on the verge of seeing the first 90 nm s939 chips, now making the dual channel platform much more affordable and, therefore, attractive to a broader market of individuals. I think that if you had done the necessary research then you would not have been in the situation that you are in now. Moreover, you have a perfectly fine system which should be more than enoguh to keep you happy for sometime. If you feel the compelling need to upgrade then sell your current setup, but that DFI/A64 combo should keep you very happy until DFI releases it's high-end Lanparty specifically targeted for s939. Next time I hope you look at all the facts before you make an upgrade. It's only your money.

deception``

Whats stupid is the fact he has the best overclocking 754 board (of which no 939 board comes close) and a Clawhammer CG, which has 1Mb L2, and overclocks well.

:rolleyes:

Have you even tried to oc your setup? Also how high have you been able to get you cpu up to and 100% stable. I might want to take you cpu off of your hands for ya.

This isn't meant to be an insult nor a flamewar but

It occurs to me:There seems to be always some bunch of ppl doing something the second some website review says something. What kind of sense is in this acting?

On the topic:
S939 may seem the way to go now, but the benefits over s754 are very lightweight in terms of performance (check some benches before starting to dream). And there is no greater level of futureproof in it either even if amd wants you to believe that. You can go out now, trash your clawhammer cg and the dfi and buy the next best 90nm s939 cpu and mobo and think you'll be done for the whole next year...

but think again: nforce4, dual pci-e sli and ddr2 will force you so upgrade soon if you want to keep up with the pace (seems so you want to) :=) Maybe those features will arrive on the s939 too but you need to go out and buy another board (where's the futureproofness in this behaviour?) And believe me, the second one anandtech review finds out that nforce4 is THE way to go you will find yourself again in some certain "the second after"-situation again. Damn those moods do cost a fortune, don't they? ;=)

My advice: stay with your rig, even after the second some anandtech review finds out that 90nm is helluva lot better than an oced clawhammer cg.
The typical Clawhammer CG you own will oc to at least 2.4 ghz (if you don't oc it why do you have the dfi?), this will be 3700+ speeds and any migration to the s939 won't yield you so much more power.

If you do want the best of the best why don't you shoot for an athlon fx?

Ah, and just a sidenote: if you feel like worshipping some hardware review website, devoting your life and your soul, there may be some better ones out there than anandtech (lol)

Back