• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Artifacts after intsallation of TT Giant 3?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kooga_magnum

I recently installed the thermaltake giant 3 on my vid card exactly to instructions. I put thermalpaste everywhere it needed to be and tightened everything down nicely. As soon as I booted I got random artifacts on my screen, but the pc itself would never lock up, leading to believe the card wasnt overheating, anyways....I took it all apart and put it all together again and it worked fine????? I'm confused what I might of did wrong or anything but does anyone have any input???

that was my first impression too but then wouldnt it overheat right away? especially after running benchmarks on it? or at least lock up?

Take it back out, remove the HS, and see if the thermal paste is evenly distributed where the core touches. If it had thicker spots, then you know it wasnt making good contact. If the thermal paste looks evenly distributed, then you should look to see if you damaged and traces on the PCB, or bumped any other components on the PCB.

yep I took it all out, put it all back together very neatly and then it worked ok, but i SWEAR i didnt do anything differently, that is why im so confused :confused: , the first time i might of put the thermal paste on too thick because it mentioned to put a little more on because of the GPU shim, but anyways im VERY glad its working now

Yuriman said:
Can the giant3 handle a 9800pro? I was under the impression that was not a very good heatsink.

perhaps a mild overclock.... I wouldn't expect it to do much more than that.

actually i have been able to OC it very well, I got it to run stably at 420mhz core and 379mhz memory, this is before i soft mod to a 9800xt which will allow me to go even higher, this heatsink is very good, not sure why people bash it

kooga_magnum said:
actually i have been able to OC it very well, I got it to run stably at 420mhz core and 379mhz memory, this is before i soft mod to a 9800xt which will allow me to go even higher, this heatsink is very good, not sure why people bash it
Agreed, its every bit as good as the Silencer is.

___

And yes a card can overheat that quick. Just look at what an AXP does. I dont have a link to it, but Tom's hardware did a thermal throtteling test ranging from Celerons to Tbreds.

The AMD chips rose to 376c* within 10secs of removing the HSF (and yes thats the temp their infared device gave) :eek:

Its not unheard of to get that issue. I got it on mine when i first installed it. I quickly killed the PC's power, reseated it, and now its just fine. Hell its still chuggin away on my sis's PC.

yes believe me I know how fast cards can overheat. I blew my best radeon9800pro that way. Man this was a golden chip, I oc'ed that core to 445 artifact free on freaking stock heatsink and thermal paste. Then I got greedy and put a stock athlon heatsink on it. Everything workd except I was greedy and did not totally secure on of the screws. I plugged the thing in and booted up and there was smoke withing 2 sec of windows xp loading screen. Damn I know I could have done 500mhz+ with WC on that chip.

Back