• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Too hot to handle!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tpe

Registered
This has to be the best place to ask about how hot things should or shouldnt get!

On my graphics card there is a Rage Theater chip, if you put your finger on it it is ok, but it is not possible (unless you are the terminator) to keep your finger on it as it is just too hot.

Is this normal?! is there anyone out there who has one there to try it on?

The card is not overclocked in any way, the agp voltage is normal (afaik, is there anyone that can tell me what it should be?) as it is the default in the bios, but i do have a really annoying stupid mother board (abit as8) that also seems to want to over clock things by default. nor are any of the other componennts willingly overclocked. Needless to say the system has been rather unstable since a motherboard change and i am trying to find out the cause

The card is a 9800AIWse (dont laugh) with nothing extra (ie pipelines or new bios) enabled. the heat synch and back of the pcb feel cool to the touch (cant be more than 30 odd Celcius).

yours with thanks

tpe

Many chips can be that hot "normally". Better fabrication, fewer transistors and the bigger lithographic processes used to make the chip can usually allow higher temperatures without failure. A lot of the simpler designs can live very well at 70c+.

OF course, that doesn't mean wouldn't live an even longer happier life at cooler temps ;)

Many thanks, the card is not totally dead yet but has put up some strange patterns on the screen, hope this is just a normally hot chip :)

tpe

Back