• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Merging w/ Others to Beat #1 and #2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

daniel_dynasty

Hey has anyone really thought of merging with another team to beat [H] or oc aus? i bet anandtech might merge with us if we ask politely and stuff... or even smaller teams can help a lot..

he meant recruiting individual members, not a whole team. cause then basically the team would no longer be ocforums... it would be anforums or something :-/

Not to be rude but.. Wedo is doing that I believe. I remember seeing a link to his post that lets you download the Seti@home. Ok, I d/l'ed it and then checked the .txt file to see what's up. And there I found something like this: Username: Wedo. Maybe people that don't know much about this stuff or even bother to look at the .txt, might be crunching for Wedo. Just my opinion. :beer:

well in his guides he did say to change it to the team and name before activating it. if you are stupid enuf you are folding for him and team32 lol. well maybe if you can work something out with some of the teams it will work. its all about finding the cure for cancer as the first priority and the second priority is to BEAT the teams ahead of us. if we need to tilt towards beating them we gotta do this.. if you like computer stuff and havent came across any of the modding/overclocking forums and websites its either you wont find it at all or someone is gonna ask you to join and you dont kno a clue what you are doing..

I think if you were to totally bring over another team and want it to still be ocforums team then you would need to bring a small team that would all join up over here...
Or maybe offer them to be a subteam of 32 :)

SilverJag said:
Not to be rude but.. Wedo is doing that I believe. I remember seeing a link to his post that lets you download the Seti@home. Ok, I d/l'ed it and then checked the .txt file to see what's up. And there I found something like this: Username: Wedo. Maybe people that don't know much about this stuff or even bother to look at the .txt, might be crunching for Wedo. Just my opinion. :beer:

no wedo is not recruiting other forums. and yes his one click does have his name, but there is a reason. in older versions of the one click, the user name was "one click" and lots of people didn't both changing the name. http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=4590
then he decided he might as well have these people who don't change fold for him.

We tried to get the other iNET forums interested in joining us since we're all owned by the same outfit but they would have none of it. Each forum is into it's own sphere of interests and that's as far as it went.

stan03 said:
no wedo is not recruiting other forums. and yes his one click does have his name, but there is a reason. in older versions of the one click, the user name was "one click" and lots of people didn't both changing the name. http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=4590
then he decided he might as well have these people who don't change fold for him.
Sorry, my post ment to be on an individual basis. Never ment to say that he was recuiting other forums. All i'm saying is that he used that "flaw, if I may" to his advantage.

daniel_dynasty said:
Hey has anyone really thought of merging with another team to beat [H] or oc aus? i bet anandtech might merge with us if we ask politely and stuff... or even smaller teams can help a lot..

I recruited macforums, but they insisted on making their own team. Oh well...at least they are folding.

Acually, now that I look at it, it would be nice to be able to recruit those other teams.

The only problem with that is.... HOW? I've only been folding for a week now, and I already don't have access to some of my borgs.

How do you expect an entire team to switch sides, and change their machines from their team to Team 32?

This makes me think of the kid in gym class who would switch teams half way through the game so he could be on the winning team.

What fun is winning if you don't struggle with your team in order to win? Not fun.

Is bringing another team into our team actually winning? No.

I'd rather lose.

The idea of teams and competition is to entertain and encourage people to participate... What being #1 means is that your team has gotten the most people or the most productive people to join the cause.

If we would bring in another team, the project would not be helped and our points wouldn't be meaningful.

I'd also like to add, that Wedo made the one-click, and has put countless hours of work into it with little more than "thanks" from some who use it. I say good for him if he can get more points by using his name instead of "One-Click" - those of you who actually care about watching your stats, would and usually do know better, and change the username.

Also, it's not like he *hides* the fact that his username is in there, in the install instructions you are specifically told to edit the client.cfg file.

/my .02 cents.

SilverJag said:
Sorry, my post ment to be on an individual basis. Never ment to say that he was recuiting other forums. All i'm saying is that he used that "flaw, if I may" to his advantage.

There was going to be a "flaw" no matter how he did it. He might as well get credit for it.

I don't know if favoratism is taking place here but c'mon. There are many ways he could have handled it without making "noob" people fold for him. :temper:

I wouldn't call it favoratism. He wrote the progam from scratch so i guess he can pretty much do what he wants with it. Its not out for general distribution, I'm not sure if any outside of this forum use it. There are a few other good ones out there [H] has a nice one. from what i've seen most of the install authors use their name as a default. Also line 3 in the install guide
( 3. Edit the client.cfg with notepad and change "Wedo" to your folding username. )
is pretty clear.

PCGUY112887 said:
I think if you were to totally bring over another team and want it to still be ocforums team then you would need to bring a small team that would all join up over here...
Or maybe offer them to be a subteam of 32 :)

yeah the subteam is a good idea. if only i knew a small team to ask...

Back