• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Load Temp 9800XT?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nikhsub1

Unoriginal Macho Moderator
I'm not sure how accurate the temp monitoring is of the GPU, but what is in the ball park of a decent load temp for a 9800XT? I have the core running at 450Mhz and load is 57C using the ATITool. Water cooling it, does that seem about right?

Most people seem to get similar. I don't have an XT, so I can't comment personally.

What I don't get is why they all seem to run so hot. They put out about 35-40W, 50-60 tops when vmodded, and a water loop should get you at least .2 C/W, maybe a tad more. In any case, its only logical that they should waaay cooler than CPU's, but the probe tells otherwise.

I didn't answer your question, but I'm also curious as to what sort of temps people are getting according to their probes. Air people usually get into the 60's, 70's or even 80's. That makes sense, but 50+ on water doesn't to me.

Well i have my 9600xt clocked at 560 and 340 and it stays idle 35c and load 47c, and its on air, so my guess is that isnt right with water cooling especially. Im still on air and its lower temps. But that is a better chip so it may run hotter.
And the only thing ive done is put some OCZ ramsinks on the ram and nothing else.

Jacobman said:
Well i have my 9600xt clocked at 560 and 340 and it stays idle 35c and load 47c, and its on air, so my guess is that isnt right with water cooling especially. Im still on air and its lower temps. But that is a better chip so it may run hotter
There's one hell of a difference between a 9800xt and a 9600xt. For starters, the latter is on a smaller fabrication process... Not even remotely comparable.

mine is cooled with a vga silencer and runs about 60° under heavy load @ full overclock.... idles right around 53°.

Nik, you try reseating it?

It can be hard to get good contact with only two anchor points and a bare die.

Back