• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X800 Pro vs X800-XT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hybrid_Dragon

Registered
If i were to buy a new ATI graphics card what would you recomend both i can buy but money is important is spending an extra 100$ worth the XT can i just OC the pro to an XT? Or do the 12vs16 Pipes make all the diffrence lets see what you think!

suggestions plz!

Hybrid_Dragon said:
If i were to buy a new ATI graphics card what would you recomend both i can buy but money is important is spending an extra 100$ worth the XT can i just OC the pro to an XT? Or do the 12vs16 Pipes make all the diffrence lets see what you think!

suggestions plz!

Does it have to be an ATi card? I mean.. I love my x800pro, but a 6800GT gets such a better 3dmark03 score :-/ But I couldnt be happier with my card, so I am not complaining.

I wouldn't spend that extra hundred on the XT(pe?)... because you wont find one, and because you may be able to mod a VIVO (though there are chances you may not) into an XT. I dunno... I didn't spend the extra 100 and I am completely satisfied with my gaming experience (Heck, as of now, my CPU is probabily holding me back).

EDIT: What's your rig looking like, and welcome to the forums.

Without more than adequate cooling, I'd have to say no, you probably can't reach XT-PE speeds. Heres my personal opinion regarding flashes from PRO to XT-PE. (I've used this philosophy quite a while a go, so don't expect anything up-to-date):

Lets say you do buy the VIVO which is PROBABLY the only one that can flash to XT PE. Last time I checked [(1 month ago) told you this is going to be old] the VIVO was what, $360-$380? Why risk the possibility of a bad flash that might or might not do you any good; when you can put in an extra $20 and be guaranteed without a problem? But that's just me. Also, with technology, the first "batch" that comes out is usually the best.

EX: BFG in the beginning= it was the new rave DUDE!
BFG now= Meh, it's been better.
*VIVO then= Can easily be flashed b/c they weren't locked.
*VIVO now= Probably hard to flash to XT PE b/c ATi got smart!

LEGEND:
*= Old knowledge kicking in...

SilverJag said:
Without more than adequate cooling, I'd have to say no, you probably can't reach XT-PE speeds. Heres my personal opinion regarding flashes from PRO to XT-PE. (I've used this philosophy quite a while a go, so don't expect anything up-to-date):

Lets say you do buy the VIVO which is PROBABLY the only one that can flash to XT PE. Last time I checked [(1 month ago) told you this is going to be old] the VIVO was what, $360-$380? Why risk the possibility of a bad flash that might or might not do you any good; when you can put in an extra $20 and be guaranteed without a problem? But that's just me. Also, with technology, the first "batch" that comes out is usually the best.

EX: BFG in the beginning= it was the new rave DUDE!
BFG now= Meh, it's been better.
*VIVO then= Can easily be flashed b/c they weren't locked.
*VIVO now= Probably hard to flash to XT PE b/c ATi got smart!

LEGEND:
*= Old knowledge kicking in...

Ah, but the first "batch" of technological products is usually worse then after it's been manufactured for a while and the procedure has gotten more efficient and the technology for manufacturing has gotten better. If you mean better because they are usually unlocked, then yes, but don't confuse that with stability, life expectancy, or quality.

Well.. here's my take...

I bought originally a built by ATI x800 pro card off the net for $325 total. I got it and found out that the memory was 2.0, had no rage theatre chip, and no yellow connector on the right side of the PCB. When I looked at the side of the box though, it clearly said VIVO. Since I worked at *cough* CC *cough* I bought one of the x800 pro cards there for $440 after tax. The side of the box only said VO though. However, when I opened it, the card had 1.6 memory, a rage theatre chip on back and the yellow connector on the side. Now, I wish I had originally bought the one from CC, but that's water under the bridge.

I was able to flash the new card to an XT PE with 16 pipes no problem. The card now IS an XT PE. I can say that with full confidence. My friend went to compusa yesterday and bought a "natural" XT PE for $550 after tax. He pulled it out and we compared his card to mine. It was the EXACT same card. Same cooling, same minotaur sticker on the cooler, same memory, same chips, same PCB, same layout, same everything. We even had the same bios loaded. His card was exactly the same as mine beyond the serial number sticker on the back.

My suggestion though, if you can find it get a 6800 GT.. since I originally got a *deal* on an x800 pro, I stuck with ATI. My friend is an ATI fanboi so he got ATI. If you really want ATI though, get the pro VIVO that can be flashed to an XT PE and save yourself a ton of dough.

I got one of the first X800XT's a Asus card, and within a week it had started to artifact. (i was not best impressed as my previous Asus 9800xt also went south after 1 month). Anyway after being fed up with ATI i got a 6800 Ultra, which to be honest i think it a better card, i have changed the stock cooler for a VGA cooler rev 5, which is great, runs much quieter and 6 deg cooler at idle, (haven't tested under load yet). I would recommend a NV card based on my experince, however if you want a ATI get a pro, from what i have read a few xt's have failed as i guess they are just clocked pro's (done at the factory) and use the same components as the pro VIVO anyway.

I was in a position to be able to compare the two back to back and certainly in terms of 3dmark the 6800 was getting the higher numbers(tested on the same rig), although not by enough to make a difference in the real world(200 points).

Boegy3 said:
Ah, but the first "batch" of technological products is usually worse then after it's been manufactured for a while and the procedure has gotten more efficient and the technology for manufacturing has gotten better. If you mean better because they are usually unlocked, then yes, but don't confuse that with stability, life expectancy, or quality.
No, I do mean performance. Look at BFG when they first made the debut of the 6800GT OC. People were saying that it was the best on the market, all the chips were "creme of the crop" and handpicked. People reached peaks of 12k-14k on AMD XP systems. Everything was great.
Now tell me if you keep seeing these great scores? Also, look at the overclockability of a current BFG OC and compare it to the first batch. The current ones can BARELY do half of the overclock that the first users had. I can show you numerous posts and links of many popular companies such as BFG, Leadtek, and PNY slipping up. :temper:

Here are some benches...

doom3.gif

Hybrid_Dragon said:

suggestions plz!

Few x800Pro VIVO's will run clean at XT-PE clocks speeds or slightly above (why do you think they
got DG'ed to Pro VIVO status in the first place. If you want cheap go with a Pro VIVO. If you want
OC go with an XT-PE.

Viper

Back