• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Zalman NB47J on Radeon 9600 Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hey560

Registered
Has anyone tried passively cooling their 9600 pro with the northbridge cooler from zalman the NB47J. I read a thread on the ncix forums and a guy tried doing it but i couldn't really guage his results from his posts. Here is a picture of what he did:

10205_20040304_1.JPG

How successful do you think i would be if I attempted this. I'm trying to quiet down my pc as much as possible, and this doesn't require any modding of my video card as the zalman mounts the same way as the current crappy heatsink/fan combination on there now.

I think it'd work, might run warm, but it isn't gonna massively overheat I don't think.

The fan on my 9600 pro is now the loudest thing in my computer. I think i'll try this and if there is an over heating problem i'll just put a VANTEC ICEBERQ on it. The problem is i dont know how to guage an overheating problem. When I touch the current ****ty heatsink on my gpu i feel no heat on idle and during a video game it get a little warmer. How would I guage this passive heatsink?

Hey man have you thought of getting the ZALMAN Heatpipe VGA Cooler, Model "ZM80C-HP" from newegg i bought the dual heatpipe one and its just as quite as you would like it i would recomend the single heat pipe or the dual heatpipe not the northbridge heatsink it was made for the northbridge proc and i dont think it would handle the heat that your 9600pro might have

Last edited:
The 9600Pro in my My's G5 & the Sapphire 9600Pro in my bro's PC came with much smaller passive heatsinks than that one. I say go for it.

The ZM-NBF47 has been a satisfactory replacement for the small fan on my RV370. This post encouraged me to do it.

Zalman_ZM-NBF47_RV370_table.jpg

But it needs strong airflow within the case and especially around the video adapter. In an open case the heat sink became very hot while just idling. Since the video processor didn't have a thermal sensor, I measured the temperature by touching the heatsink and the PCB directly below (above) the chip. Both seemed equally as hot, which meant there was good contact, but ran only warm with the case closed.

I ended up slightly scratching the core and the mating surface while attempting to match the mounting to the holes on the PCB. I wish the sink had indentations for a couple most common dimensions. But no problems installing it overall.

Zalman_ZM-NBF47_RV370_case2.jpg

The GPU has been slightly overclocked to 432/270.

Zalman_RV370_status.png

Zalman_RV370_status2.png

Only the Speed mode appears to be indicative.
Runs Source engine games.

Other similar models of these GPUs came with small flat heatsinks also covering some memory chips and presumably heating them up. I bought those cards for office computers, but cannot tell you how they fared. That seems to be a reckless design, and worse than fitting this Zalman unit. They still sell Radeons with small hs today, such as the Asus HD5450. Even though they don't occupy extra slot space, I'm quite sure they need it to dissipate heat adequately.

I'll definitely underclock the card this summer though.

Back