• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dual display with non-radeon cards ...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iconboy

Registered
hey all

i've got a buddy with an AIW 8500dv ... i'm thinking of throwing in a tnt2 16mb pci card to get dual monitors on his computer ... do any of u forsee any hardware/software/driver compatibility problems? would ultramon help out to manage both cards?

he just wants to use the monitor hooked up to the tnt2 to extend his desktop and to watch videos in full screen.

thanks in advanced

thanks! :)

I have done 3 systems with secondary PCI vid cards. You should encounter no problems. As for the software to control multi monitors I am not sure.

Surreal said:
I have done 3 systems with secondary PCI vid cards. You should encounter no problems. As for the software to control multi monitors I am not sure.

Have you ever run a dual monitor system with an ATI card and a nVidia card? I would think it would lead to nothing but trouble. Many people who have switched from an nVidia card, to an ATI card (or vice versa) have had problems unless using a driver cleaner to completly get rid of the old drivers. I couldn't imagine all the trouble that would happen if both were run at the same time.

I currently am running a dual monitor setup with a Geforce 6800 and an old Geforce 2, and I use nVidia's drivers with no problem. I would suggest that you either buy a new pci Ati card to go with the 8500, or a new agp nVidia card to go with the TNT2.

But if you already have the TNT2 lying around, I guess you could give it a shot, but it could cause all sorts of issues.

well the thing is that i dont want to spend a lot of money right now because i am saving up for a new comp for sometime next year... but i need a dual setup NOW for work... I want to get the cheapest pci card i can get and right now it looks like the TNT2 is it,. cant find a pci radeon card in my area (toronto, canada) for less than $70, which i think is rediculous! especially considering the TNT2 is 20 bucks!

Just wanna drop this in: watching a movie on dual monitors (w/ the movie stretched between the monitors) will look like crap. I've done it. It's just not worth it.

Now, if you still wanna run dual monitors (and I suggest that everybody try it at least once), I'll recomend you Ultramon. It's a nice, full-featured program that lets you do lots of things on your multiple monitors.

Once you go duals, you'll never, ever wanna go back.

Back