• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do I need to do to hook up consoles to my monitor/PC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JCDenton

Disabled
Hola, I need to hook up my Playstation 2, Gamecube, and Dreamcast up since I cannot have a TV at school. How would I go about doing this? My main priority is image quality.

I was told that in order to do this, I need a VGA box and some other wires to hook it up to my monitor. Why do I hear about people hooking up their PS2s to their computer itself with VIVO or something? Is there any advantage to doing that?

If I need a VGA box, please tell me the best one to get and where I can get it. Price doesn't matter as long as it's not ridiculous like $500+.

My monitor is a Samsung 172x and my graphics card is a Geforce 6800 GT OCed to Ultra in case you needed to know.

Thank you.

VIVO just means the video card has video inputs and video outputs. If you have that you are all set except you might need to get a video switch to avoid the need to switch plugs all the time. VIVO well allow you to record from your playstation to your computer, or run the video in windowed mode. A VGA box will only allow you to plug the monitor directly to the console.

you could get a TV turner card, or one of those little USB thingys to plug into it for <$40. But the pic quality isn't that much better. I remember the VGA box for the Dreamcast, now there was a pic quality improvement!!!!

A TV tuner card with video inputs, or a video card with VIVO will do the trick. I currently run my Xbox through my tuner card via s-video. It works fine, and you could hook them all up to a switchbox so that you could just hit a button to change from system to system.

In the case of both the Xbox and the DC, there are VGA boxes available for them, but having more than one VGA box would mean spending $$ on a vga switchbox. You could get an X2VGA for your Xbox (which really makes a difference, though it's pricey), and hook the rest up via a tuner card or VIVO.

Back