• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FSB and multiplier

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
aeae2 said:
FSB and multiplier waht are these and how do i change them?

FSB = Front Side Bus.
To explain it the easy way; Lets say you have FSB at 100MHz, and the clockmultiplier at 10x. This will give you a speed of 1GHz.
When you increase the FSB you clock not only the CPU, but allso youre RAM and PCI / AGP slots etc. Most OCers try to get this as high as possible, becasue it increase the overall performance of you're entire system. Remeber thou that some things in you're compy ain't made to take to much FSB, so you might end up with an unstable system.
The clockmultiplier works only at clocking the CPU.

As to changing it, there are many different ways to do it. I think you should read the beginner stuff on this site before trying it. Come back with any questions AFTER you have read the beginner guides.

i read some stuff on unlocking and it talks about l1 l2.. but that means nothing to me...

L1 and L2 speaks of bridges that you have to physically connect (dissconnect) on you're CPU. There should be pix and stuff on the subject in the beginner guides.

the unlocking you were describing is to do with the duron and tbird chips. On these conecting up the L1 bridges unlocks the multiplyer.
On the slot a athlon the easiest way to unlock the multiplyer was with a goldfinger device.

Welcome to the forums.

That being said, it looks like you're on the right path by asking questions, but before you go chasing all over the web looking for information, a good place to start can be found right here at "Overclockers.com". Located on the front page of this site is an excellent "beginners guide". In there you will find a wealth of useful information from "unlocking the L1 bridges" to other more common overclocking practices.

Get yourself a good working knowledge of how your computer works, then you can begin your journey into the world of overclocking. This way you will have an understanding of how the different parts of your computer interact with each other and what changes affect other parts.

Good Luck!

Back