• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temp probe on 9800Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sHape oF gReY

Well, I finally got my balls together and decided to do a volt mod on my 9800P in hopes of squeezing some more juice out of it before it retires :p Messing with the voltage will cause a significant temp. changes and I wanted to keep a close eye on that...unfortunately 9800P don’t have a heat sensor on them like the XT and luck would have it I found my old NEXUS panel while digging around the lab.

Anyhow, long story short where would be the best place to stick the heat probe at? As it stands right now I'm thinking of attaching it to the back of the behind the GPU...any ideas, comments or suggestions?

PS I apologize if this should have been posted in another section (like cooling/volt mod).

actually the new 9800pros do come on the xt pcb.... i flashed mine to a real xt card..... guess it depends on when you bought it. I would put the temp prob as close to the gpu as possible.... some people put them on the back of the card.... right behind where the core would be.

hmm back of the card you say. Is this a good area cause I have mine WC and volt modded to 1.9v and still when I put my finger on the back of the card it feels just like anywhere else on the card (i.e. case temp) do I really have that good of a cooling?

kouch said:
hmm back of the card you say. Is this a good area cause I have mine WC and volt modded to 1.9v and still when I put my finger on the back of the card it feels just like anywhere else on the card (i.e. case temp) do I really have that good of a cooling?

I'm not really sure how good of an area that is, the reason I chose that is because I've heard of others doing it and it was the most accessable place thats "close" to the GPU...unless I can somehow cram the probe on my MAZE4 right next to the core.

I'll be re-decorating inside the case sometime tomorow, need to change the tubing and the way its routed around the case so I guess I can experiment with the probe then. Heh, just dont want to short the card out with the heat probe :eek:

don't exactly remember now (and don't feel like looking) but I remember there being a notch of sorts for wires or something on my maze4 gpu when I installed it. Maybe this was to put a thermal probe wires through? Just speculation, but it's worth a look.

The back of the card, right behind the core, is your best bet, trying to get the probe into physical contact with the actual core is nearly impossible, and could mess up your heat transfer.

My probe seems to give quite believable readouts, and seems pretty accurate in it's load/idle spread. However, this may be because my card runs below ambient temperatures.

Well, the most likely way to get the best reading with a thermal probe is to have the end of the probe butt up against the gpu core. This way you will get the most accurate reading. I have used one on my cpu core. I cut the end of the probe so that it is flat..and butt it up against the core (not on). To my knowledge this is the best way to get the most accurate reading. Hope this helps....(my two cents worth)...!! :clap:

P.S. With most probes they are accurate to +/- 1 degree celcious

Last edited:
so you dont put the probe on between the hsf and cpu? (or hsf and gpu??)
i have a v2000a w/a temp probe and i never really figured out how to use it

Back