• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6800Gt cooling questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CandymanCan

Disabled
Do these card's Benifite from putting AS5 on the core and if possible the memory.

I dunno if i can put AS5 on my mermory cuss it seems they have thick thermal pads on them filling in a gap between the ram and heatsink. Could someone explain this.

Last edited:
1) It's probably thermal tape.
2) Try TWISTING the heatsinks back and forth.
3) If all of the above don't work, either play some games to make your card HOT and then quickly try twisting the heatsinks.

I'm sure AS5 BENEFITS EVERY card.

Yeah, good question. Is the heatsink / (ramsinks) held together by any screws. Does your card come with the STOCK GT cooling heatsink?
BTW, you probably can't put AS5 on the memory if the heatsink itself isn't held by other screws. AS5 IS NOT LIKE Epoxy.

Its the stock cooler from what i can tell, it has the little bracket i nthe back of the that has screws in it so i guess the heatsink is mounted by screws.

CandymanCan said:
Its the stock cooler from what i can tell, it has the little bracket i nthe back of the that has screws in it so i guess the heatsink is mounted by screws.
Ummm..Well if you think the heatsink is held by screws, the go ahead and put AS5.

Its held by screws it also has 4 in the back that have springs on them or something. It has one fan ect its the stock heatsinks for the 6800gt.

How much do i apply on the core same amount as cpu's or do i apply alot cuss iheard a rumer around that putting alot o nthe core of the 6800 Helps more then a little.

I think you'd be fine applying the AS5 just like you would on a CPU.
Yeah, just unscrew the whole heatsink and take it off. Put the AS5 on the memory and on the GPU, then put the heatsink back in. Also, if you wish, put a tad of AS5 on the mosfets too.

i agree with silver .... cpu puts out alot of heat and they only require rice grain size dab.... i found out the hard way with my cpu and northbrige ... more isnt always better ..is there any way to read your temps on that card ??

Well when i took the stock HSF off my suspisions were correct. The Mosfet heatsink is like 2mm higher and it doesnt touch the mosfets at all thats why thier are thick thermal pads on the thing putting AS5 on thier would have no affect at all unless you put alot on. I tried putting AS5 on one of the mosfets and the heatsink didnt even get a dab on because the thing isnt touching the mosfets.

Same goes with the memory, the thick pads on thier are thier for a reason. The heatsink doesnt touch the ram it does like about half of each peice and thats about it, so AS5 wouldnt help thier either.

The core however is fine the heatsink touches the core all the way so AS5 is benifical thier.

I think Nvidia made the heatsinks for this reason to screw people over so they cant put AS on the cards. I know what isaid is true also, because iv seen some people have worse affects after adding AS on thier cards. I mean whats the point of putting AS on the thing if the heatsinks cant touch the ram or mosfets. The thick pads are actually better

Be careful when putting AS5 on the core. You may need a thicker layer than normally as the heatsink doesn't always fit onto the core tightly. I found out on my Leadtek that a very thin layer of AS5 doesn't make contact on the heatsink. Had to redo the whole thing.

Yeai made sure if was pretty bloby all over so it would have some extra to spread around in case. Tho the memory and and mosfets i left alone cuss the heatsinks doesnt even touch them. The pads in this case are better then the AS.

How do i tell what kinda ram i have i think i have 2.0ns ram like the GT should have but iv seen some GT's have 1.6ns ram well seen like a few.

I didnt write the whole code down but does CG20 mean i have 2.0ns ram

Last edited:
Blazin Trav said:
I would say a bigger cooler would be something you benefit from more. AS5 is always good.

Good but not when the heatsink isnt touching the ram. Thats why thier are thick pads to cover the gap.

CandymanCan said:
Good but not when the heatsink isnt touching the ram. Thats why thier are thick pads to cover the gap.

You can use AS5 Epoxy on the memory if you want a better thermal conductor then the pads but honestly I didn't see any real world benefit from doing the memory. The GPU I had a noticable drop in temps but thats it.

Back