• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nvidia is bull****ing ATI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well any papers like this are not very credible.... but one thing to think about is why so much is coming out of the Nvidia camp bashing ATI. Some of this stuff may be fake, others true and authentic... but why? Is this a frame up or is Nvidia really that afraid of ATI... and furthermore, what does this say about the Nvidia corp confidence in their own product? Everything in recent history about these two companies points to the reality that at the end of the day the performance is "relatively even steven.... so why all the posturing?

Actually, i expected Nvidia to praise ATi cards and promote them so that more people buy them. I also expected their PR to tell everyone to throw away Nvidia cards.

I thought this has gone around once or twice before... hasn't it?

dark_15 said:
I thought this has gone around once or twice before... hasn't it?

well first nVidia gave out to the public some slides that down played down the x800 cards.

now it seems they are doing the same thing about the x700 cards.

http://www.computerbase.de/news/hardware/grafikkarten/2004/september/dont_get_fooled_by_ati/

as you can see, they are only speaking about the Doom3 vedio game in all the slides....as if this is the "be all" game of the year", and all games run like Doom3.
but it also goes on to say that the x700 cards are not PCI-E certified, the drivers might not get WHQL sertification, and is a new name but based on old technoligy as well.
all of this seems to be untrue.....

x-bit said:
A high-ranking executive of an NVIDIA add-in-card partner has send a number of documents that criticize ATI’s RADEON X700 and praise NVIDIA’s GeForce 6600 technology to media, including X-bit labs web-site. The documents were marked as copyright by NVIDIA Corp., the authors of the documents are people named “ahwang” and “rcajnar”. The X700-related white-paper in PDF format was created on the 20th of September, 2004, a day before ATI’s RADEON X700 XT reviews hit the web.

a good read is here....LOOK.

I have refrained from posting this info over the past few days, as some people here not only don't like to hear any bad news from nVidia, as well as they think I'm some big ATI fanatic.

read the news, get informed.

mica

the ati pci-e cards are not certified. but no one knows if they have undergone testing or not yet

xtrmeocr said:
the ati pci-e cards are not certified. but no one knows if they have undergone testing or not yet

they are undergoing testing now, and as a spokeswoman from ATI already said....

ATI Technologies also informed X-bit labs that several products, including the RADEON X300, had been submitted for PCI-SIG compliance testing in September, 2004.

“The results of the testing are not expected for several weeks. However, it is worth noting that we have completed stringent interoperability and compatibility testing with our customers, including all of the major OEMs, and to date we have shipped millions of PCI Express products,” said ATI’s spokeswoman.

since the x800 cards seem to be already PCI-E compliant, the new info only looks like a fud campain again by the bigest lier in the field.

here is a quote from the PCI sig....

The statement on the PCI Sig web site reads as follows:

It has come to our attention that a document has been distributed anonymously which purports to compare the link quality of several PCI Express devices This document was prepared without the knowledge or approval of the PCI Sig. And the PCI Sig does not vouch for the accuracy of the test results, test methodologies or any other information contained in that document. The PCI Sig does not endorse the use of any one member’s products over those available from any other member. For more information about the PCI Sig compliance and interoperability procedures, tests, and related activities visit PCI Sig.

mica

I will say that i DID hear that their x700 was rejected from PCI-E and they had to revise the chipset.

I believe one of their mobos had a similar issue, but alas I cannt remember the source.

I will say however, that there are times that I think "Bagdad Bob" is running nV's PR department. Its one thing to be zelous of your product, but come on. If anything slam ATi for their lack of PS3, not this crap.

I could care less if they curse each others's mothers out!
These tactics Make no difference in my decision about buying a video card.

all we ever see these days is 'nvidia slag ati' or 'ati slag nvidia' faked press releases for both companies...IMO theyre both to busy trying to out do each other to even bother with this stuff, its just people getting bored and trying to fill the gap between official releases with rubbish to keep themselves amused....

Vrykyl said:
all we ever see these days is 'nvidia slag ati' or 'ati slag nvidia' faked press releases for both companies...IMO theyre both to busy trying to out do each other to even bother with this stuff, its just people getting bored and trying to fill the gap between official releases with rubbish to keep themselves amused....

if you investigated anything, then you would know that nVidia not only released the x800 flogging slides, the x700 slides that we are talking about now....but the ATI briefing slides as well, quite some time ago.
(do a search of my name.)

the crazy thing is this type of stuff helps no one....not us anyway.
and to think, even "I" believe the 6600 cards are far better then the x700 cards.

why would nVidia need to do this if they care about us?
well, I don't think any IHV cares about little old us...yet at least nVidia has somewhat stoped all the big time cheating in the driver dept.
I realy didn't think they needed to even do that crap with the 58/5900 cards.

the thing is, nVidia is hopefull that they might get one or two extra OEM contracts out of this.
after all, not many OEMs truly investagate such BS anyway.

this is not the first time nVidia has done such crap, and it doesn't look like the last.

maybe if nVidia wants to gain credibility from informed people, it might want to start exposing it's drivers and listening to it's consumers.
seems they think they need to lie and mislead in order to garner respect.

the truly sad thing is that this is truely unnessasary...nVidia has such fine cards in basicly every catigory.

mica

Last edited:
It's really a shame that such a big corporation has to act like a f'in 3 year old, but uh, not to get off track or push this whole debate, look at the election campaines here in the US. The world's gone to hell boys, so grab your plastic sporks and fend for yourselves!

If you actually care about these arguments between the 2 manufacturers you are just a fanboy of one of 'em.

Quailane said:
If you actually care about these arguments between the 2 manufacturers you are just a fanboy of one of 'em.

I don't think taking interest in the integrity of a particular company's advertising practices make you a fanboy. Just as I wouldn't want to spend my money on a company that uses underaged labor or practiced age, gender or race bias, I don't care to spend my money with a company that takes a shady approach to marketing it's products.

I hope they go into a all out battle and jus keep droping the price of their vid cards so in the end poor little gamers like me can afford a 9800 for a mere 100 Canadian lol.

I think that Nvidia will just about do anything underhanded and nasty to get the better of the competition .

What is very sad about the whole issue is that they spread lies and FUD even when they have decent hardware . I think the big fear here is that the X700 has just taken a market segment which they thought that they had sewn up , and has given the consumers choice . It is already pretty competitive and the AI feature will over time give more and more performance (even more for those gamers who don't mind lower image quality ) . It is possible that that is NV's concern .

stratcatprowlin said:
/agree. I'll be watching for benchmarks, not slideshows.

stratcatprowlin said:

Well put :)

Back