• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

These server cases worth saving?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

secretweapon

Well I got these giant tower AT server cases in my basement. I been using them as a stand to put stuff on. Recently I took a look at them there's seem to be ample space to put water cooling stuff in. Front will be easy to mod but it's the back that's gonna be a pain to convert to ATX standards. (I'm only working with a dremel and makita drill here) What do you guys think, should I keep them as very unfashionable stands or try modding it?

tower3.jpg

tower2.jpg

tower1.jpg

Old cases are the best to mod, they have some personality compared to the new ones where they are all built the same.

Those old cases are great. They require a little more "persuasion" to accomodate the ATX boards. So grab your dremel and prepare to make a new cutout for the MB connections. That is generally the hardest part to overcome when modding an old AT case.

put simply "they dont make em like they used to"...

and if you dont feel like making them into PCs, i have seen some great server case book shelf and night stand mods

I have converted a few cases like that to ATX form and the simplest way ( after much experimenting) is to have a new rear panel fabricated at a sheetmetal shop.
Here in Denver the cost ranges from $15 to $30 for such a piece.
This is for a blank panel, so you still have to create the appropriate cutouts yourself as best you can, but if you can lay your hands on a removable motherboard tray such as used by Lian-li or (some) Coolermasters the job becomes much simpler.
The cases are well worth the effort to upgrade...the available space is substantial and hard to find in more modern units.
Also, I think the build quality of the old cases is far better...certainly, the chassis is much sturdier and the plastic usually more restrained than the gaudy designs so popular today.

Edit:
It's odd that you should post this question on the very day that I was presented with what I consider to be the Holy Grail of server cases...ATX form-factor with a removable motherboard tray.
A customer at my shop brought it in and donated it for free ( so far, all 5 of my giant cases have been give aways... :beer: ). A co-worker, with a mysterious fetish for older Pentium rigs, claimed the guts, and I walked away with a new enclosure to fit Sprocket into.
Life is good.....

Last edited:
secretweapon said:
These server cases worth saving?

Yes, yes and yes!

I think the majority of people who read the title of this thread knew the answer before even coming in to read it. :D

Get that Dremel revved up, you've got some modding to do...

;)

Well took some measurements today. The front section before it reaches the power switch/LED is 11""x7", Exact same measurements are on the back where the PSU is. Tower is 24" in height and with the base it is 25 1/2" The metals used in the case are very good quality, although not very nicely tapered to avoid cuts. Here's my rough idea on how I'm gonna do this.
plan.jpg

base.jpg

First the case cover. I'm gonna cut it into 3 piece as indicated on the red line. This way I can remove panels separarely and add blowholes. I might have to take this to a machine shop to get a perfectly lined up cut along the edge. The top piece will have a blowhole and a round reservoir on it. I can just fill and bleed on top the case. The side panel will be windowed. All of the panels and front bezel will be painted black.
cut1.jpg

For the front, I will cut the case open to mount either a 2-199 or 2-302 radiator with shrouds on both sides. The plastic front cover will also be cut open to mount a removable mesh + filter. The small drive cage on the bottom see can be moved so I will put the pump in there and move it further back. Another annnoying thing is the AT style power switch. I will have to change it to ATX standards.
power2.jpg

power1.jpg

The back is easier than I thought. The slot cover + AT keyboard hole can be removed and the motherboard tray has holes for an ATX motherboard :D The MB I/O parts will conflict with the keyboard hole so I will cut the section in red off. All I need to manufacturing is a shallow box with the ATX I/O shield at the bottom and put it into the back, on top of the slot covers.
io2.jpg

cut2.jpg

Now the PSU+ exhaust fan will be the easiest. The original PSU was HUGE. I have idea why it is so big and why it was mounted vertically. There is a holder for PSUs so I can just put the new PSU there and cut a hole in the back right above the PSU to put a 120mm fan in.
psu1.jpg

psu2.jpg

Positives for this project:
Case is free, although it must have cost a fortune back in the day.
There's couple of them so even if I screw up on one there's a replacement.
Will be very spacious once done, even with WC.
There's a Turbo button, build in LED mhz counter and Key lock.
ATX motherboard mounting holes on tray. No drilling needed.

The bad:
AT power switch
Will have to buy a front function panel with USB+IEEE1394 ports

The Ugly:
I live in Canada so I got to get the modding done in a month or so or it's gonna be too cold to do it outside the house. I don't want metal scraps/dust and what not in the house.

Last edited:
ahh nice ...very nice..

i see u live north of me.. ..i am down in calgary..
i am going to watch this.. might learn something ..always good to learn.. yes..

got msn or aim?

Ah that back does look hard to mod.. maybe take a plate from a normal ATX case and make a place for it back there? Mount it... then plan out all of your fans... after that use scrap metal/spot welder/sandpaper/and bondo with paint to make it look all nice :p

EDIT - Don't scrap that base yet! You can take the sides and cut them out to put some plexi in it... paint it all a nice color... and add a neon under it... then your computer will have TRUE underglows!

Last edited:
BatousaiRyu said:
see now i was gonna say ill take it if u dont want it.... but i guess im a lil late >.> nice grab

If I don't screw up I do have an extra case (exact samething) to play with :D I think I got these from when a local comp store went down.

I am doing one now that is the old at standard. Take a current version IO shield on a current atx board and slide it into place where it should fit.scribe around the io sheild and cut it out with a dremel.You should be good to go. You will have alot more slots available, but they are easy to cover up with blanks.

secretweapon said:
If I don't screw up I do have an extra case (exact samething) to play with :D I think I got these from when a local comp store went down.

ooo can i have it >.> PLZ!

Agree ... the old ones are often preferable. Make great modding projects
if you know your way around a toolbox.

And they often had metal electro-mag shielding inside too.
Not really necessary, but nice to have.

just buy a lian-li motherboard tray and mod it in... i know that alot of people do that but come on it works way to well... plus then you could get off to the fun stuff right away.

Back