• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Athlon XP heatsink?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blazin Trav

Just wanted to check that Thermalright is still the best option. Right now I have an Aerocool DP102 heatsink and I might be upgrading soon.

Thanks y'all.

Thermalright SLK-947U/948U, and the rements of the SP-97 Heatsink, SLK-900A, and the ALX 800 all good options in the thermalright camp, provided you have motherboard holes for the 947/948 and SP-97

Yep, I have an Abit NF7-S, thanks. Probably the 947 is the best option. Negative on the ALX, because I always get all copper if I am buying any heatsink.

If you check the Heatsink Ratings the ALX800 did just as well as the SLK800 & 900 (of course the 80mm fans were pretty loud on the xxx800s). I have an ALX800 & love it. I have a 50CFM, 40DBa fan & it works very well.

Soon the SI-90 should be out (guessing that because its listed on their site.) That will probably perform great. It looks like a XP-90, except missing the fins conntecting the base to the upper fin area.

t_biggs said:
Soon the SI-90 should be out (guessing that because its listed on their site.) That will probably perform great. It looks like a XP-90, except missing the fins conntecting the base to the upper fin area.

Okay sweet thanks. I'll probably wait for that then. ETA? :attn:

hyper 6 from coolermaster beats all thermalright by about 3 degrees, if u got the guts to hang a 1.1kg hs from ur mobo :)

Blazin Trav....
Keep in mind that no HSF unit operates in a vacuum...the (reputed) king-of-the-hill Thermalright will perform poorly in a case with bad airflow/exhaust problems and the (widely reviled) stock AMD sink can work quite well in an optimised environment.
Each sink, especially those of unusual design ( the DP-102 and the Zalman 7000cu spring to mind) will need special attention to achieve their best performance...perhaps you don't need to upgrade your HSF as much as change the supporting elements in your case.

Possibly. I have a Thermaltake Tsunami. 120mm front and back, 80mm side. I might add a series of modded 80mm's to the top of my case. What do you suggest?

shuRe said:
hyper 6 from coolermaster beats all thermalright by about 3 degrees, if u got the guts to hang a 1.1kg hs from ur mobo :)

Where did you find these results? I'm curious because I'm looking for a Socket A heatsink myself, and havn't found a single review where the hyper6 beats the top of the line thermalright sinks by 3 degrees.

Ziggey said:
Where did you find these results? I'm curious because I'm looking for a Socket A heatsink myself, and havn't found a single review where the hyper6 beats the top of the line thermalright sinks by 3 degrees.

The hyper 6 does not fit socket A boards . ( From the reviews I've read it's not all that anyway ) .

If you don't mind throwing a lot of air , the list in the link below is some of the best for sock A ...
Good Luck .

http://www.overclockers.com/articles373/socketA.asp

The SI-97 looks interesting. I love my SP-97 and wish I could buy another one. I've also had a SLK947 with was only a notch behind the SP-97 in performance in my experience.

I'm going SP97/SI97. Depending on how the SI does. I might just wait and get that Swiftech WC kit, if it's worth it.

Back