• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Post any graphics card stories here!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hybrid_Dragon

Registered
Post your OUTRAGEOS storys about your pc hardware games software and time you just wonted to throw your pc off the sears tower any stories LETS HEAR THEM@!@@#!@!#@@^*I#%@^#%(@*

one time, i had an STB Velocity 128 w/4MB of vid. memory. it ended up eating my dog and setting the house on fire. i then realized it was actually a lion with a flamethrower strapped to his back. those were the days ...

the most excitement i've had with a vid card has been the x800 pro i currently have, I've done the v-mod and installed the vga silencer to get a very nice OC ;) O and I also installed BGA ramsinks. Other than that I've owned an AIW Rage 128 with 16mb of ram (PCI), Radeon 64mb VIVO (200/195), Radeon 8500 AIW 128mb(310/300), Radeon 9800 pro (420/380). Sorry my stories aren't to exciting or outrageous.

The first card I ever modified and did serious work on was an old Voodoo 5.

I took off the stock heatsinks and fans, cleaned the card up, put a lot of time and effort into modifying coolers so that they would fit the twin GPUs (Voodoo 5's had two GPUs on them), fitted out copper RAMsinks, and attached everything very carefully. This was the first card I had ever modified, and I was terrified that I'd scratched some micro-trace, shorted something with Arctic Silver, or made some other deadly mistake and killed my souped-up pride and joy. Once I was done fitting the card out and whatnot, I installed it in my computer and fired everything up.

I got no post screen, and crazy error bleepings from the motherboard.

I went insane with frustration and rage - the product of all my work, time, and money was destroyed, leaving me with nothing! I tried all kinds of stuff, but the card wouldn't work.

So I got really inebriated, and went to bed, sad and tired.

In the morning I got up, looked more closely, plugged in the card's power cable (I had missed it the night before, with the coolers on there it used three molexes, and a video-card using a molex plug was a rare thing back then), and started enjoying my hard work :).

The moral of the story is that you should always check power cables :p :-/.

There're pictures of the card in THIS thread if anyone cares ;).

Back