• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fixing softmod artifacts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gamemako

Well, I took a gamble, and I'm not sure yet if I think it was really fair, but I'll discuss that later. I went and got a Sapphire 9800SE thinking I could open the other 4 pipes and get 9800NP performance. Of course, it didn't work out that way. Typical.

Mod went fine, but when I tried to play games or run benches, I got those nice little boxes in diagonal patterns on my screen. Naturally, I was less than pleased. After a bit of research, I found a few solutions to test. One suggested disabling my Hierarchial Z with RTool. I went and downloaded the tool. I succeeded, but not the way I thought.

I first tried messing with my AA/AF settings, which of course did nothing. I then tried disabling Hierarchial Z. That had no more effect than to lower my performance. I saw the next option on there -- Z masking -- and wondered if that might also be the cause. I was correct. After entirely disabling Z masking, all the little black boxes were gone. I tested many other settings, but only this one worked. The downside to this fix: it costed me 400 2K3Marks (4900-4500). I'm glad it works, but the hit isn't exactly what I'd hoped for when I purchased the product. Oh well, at least it works, and much better than anything I could get with an overclock.

On an off note, I'm still considering RMAing the card because I'm not sure if it's going to survive. If I look closely I see waves in my display even without softmod. The only other time I've seen that was when I overclocked my GF4 Ti4200 to an unstable clock. I don't know if I want to risk having this card die on me -- I'd rather not get stuck dealing with a Sapphire RMA over Newegg's RMA policies.

I've never heard of the need to voltmod a 9800SE, only 9500NP. I really doubt a voltage problem would have caused the problem I had, especially considering I fixed it by disabling Z masking...

I think RMAing it would be pretty unethical considering it worked find at its standard settings. nonetheless, a volt mod could fix it up, but one of your pipelines could be slightly damaged causing that function not to work because i belive the entire "z" functions operate on solely one pipeline but and it is different with the 9800np and pro bios than the 9800ses.<you didnt get a fully on harmed 9800. Than again the core could have been designated a 9800se because of its voltage needs, entirely possible.

The volt mod for the 9800se is the same as 9800np and pro

Oh, no, I wouldn't be RMAing it because of the artifacts. Those are fixed with a performance hit that I'm willing to accept. I might RMA it because of these wierd lines in the screen that I see on stock settings, no softmod, no overclock. I'm just afraid it's going to burn out on me way too soon whether I softmod or not. I don't know yet; I'm still deciding. If I RMA it, it will definitely not be because of the artifacts -- it would be like re-rolling a 5 on the dice in hopes of a 6. I'm worried about a flaw that could kill the card regardless of what I do with it.

I noticed those same exact lines on my 9700pro I bought refurbed from newegg. After putting on a arctic cooling silencer the waves stopped.

Hmm... so the card's already running too hot?

I just had a bad experience with a fan burning out and a hot card becoming too hot to function even with a new heatsink. If it's definitely a heat problem, I'll probably RMA it...

Back