• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need advice on heatsink....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PLOBBY

Ok im stuck with the stock heatsink right now...and i wanna get a new one...i have an athlon 64 3000+...noise really isnt a huge issue either.....so and suggestions welcome...i have a price range of like up to $60

or i was looking into watercooling a little bit....is it reeally worth it?

From what I understand if you are looking to only spend 60 or less, then watercooling is definetly not an option. Getting a good heatsink and good fans/w good airflow is prime. Some would say thats more efficient than watercooling cause it costs less. As for a good hs, use the search function. I can tell you that I'm getting an XP-90 for my intel and from what I hear its pretty good for $40.

ic, well id definatly be willing to pay more for watercooling...

but would the xp-90 fit on my cpu...it says 3200+ and above....

alright...well ill look into that...is the xp-120 worth it or no?

If i were still on air I'd definately go with a XP-120. Once you cross into the 120mm fan range, you no longer require the demon tornados for elite temps. Id put a SilenX 120 on there or if you wanted a little bit better flow, a Panaflo M1A. The performance differences between 92mm and 120mm are huge IMO.

alright...well if i go in the air direction ill get the xp-120 probably

I have an XP-90 on my 3200+. It keeps it under 50 C when my room is hot and the CPU is running at 2.5ghz full load. It has a Panaflo H1B or something like that on it. I'm not sure of the exact letter/number designation of it. Its pretty quiet, and really good at cooling. I've also read the Coolermaster Hyper 6 is a really good (and heavy) heatsink. The XP-120 is supposed to be really good, too. But, if you aren't sure it will fit, I'd go with the XP-90.

Yea, if you get the 120, make sure it can fit in your mobo, some mobos have a pretty hard time fitting that big *** mofo in.

You'd also want to make sure your case can fit the xp-120. If the stocket is high on your mobo and the top of your mobo is near the power supply, the heatsink might not fit. I went with the xp-90 and am very happy. Great results, even with low noise fans.

The XP-120 is a huge HS to place on a MB I'm not sure on the KV8 model but I did get it to fit on a IC7-MAX3. It is a good HS look closely at the reviews and at what RPM and Fan they ran on the XP-90 compared to an SP-94 and the XP-120 and you will see why it is ranked over the XP-120. Either are great HS and you cannot go wrong with either one.

Back