• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Difference between R350 and R360 when running stock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matrixzen

I've been out of the loop for a while so help me out with this. What's the difference between a R350 and R360 stock wise? Say if I had two identical computers with the two cards in them. Which would run faster? I'm assuming the R360 would? And it the R350 a bad performer? Thanks again.

the difference between r350 and r360 is very minor and only apparent if the r360 is running the appropriate XT bios. Otherwise if they are both running pro bios then there is no difference what so ever.

Sounds interesting, so only in cases where you softmod and overclock you'll see the R360 shine?

yes you have to flash the r360 to an appropriate 9800XT bios in order to see the performance gain (marginal) from the improvements over r350.

This is a moot point though since if you buy any new 9800pro these days it is bound to be an r360 since ATI stopped making r350 cores a while back.

There are a few R350s floating around in the classifieds. I just want to make an informed buying descicion. :thup:

matrixzen said:
There are a few R350s floating around in the classifieds. I just want to make an informed buying descicion. :thup:

both are good cores.... both can be flashed to xt.... however the r360 does have shaders that the r350 doesn't.... using the xt bios will utilize those shaders. More than likely you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the r350 and the r360 in real life conditions.

HousERaT said:
both are good cores.... both can be flashed to xt.... however the r360 does have shaders that the r350 doesn't.... using the xt bios will utilize those shaders. More than likely you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the r350 and the r360 in real life conditions.

Are those shaders anything really significant when playing games like DooM III and Half-Life 2?

It might in those games but I'm not sure if the newer shaders are used. Basically, if you have an R350 & an R360 & they're the same price go for the R360. if theres a $50 premium on the R360 its up to you if its worth it. If its a $100 difference between a known R360 & a R350 or a "maybe R360" card (like the Sapphire 9800Pro) then go for the "maybe" or the R350.

I would say that if there is ANY price difference between the two, get the cheaper, but to each his own. Anyways, also some people think that r350 overclocks better than an r360 core on the average (could have fooled me with my overclock).

matrixzen said:
Are those shaders anything really significant when playing games like DooM III and Half-Life 2?

Can't compare as I don't have a r350..... My guess is you probably couldn't tell the difference between the two if you were looking at a picture, unless you knew what to look for.

I can't even tell the difference between the r300, r350, and r360. (We have all three).

i have seen some insane speeds on the r350 cores (500+!!!), so the 100 point gain in 3dmark 03 form the shaders from the r360 core doesnt really matter as u can get the r50 cores flying

shuRe said:
i have seen some insane speeds on the r350 cores (500+!!!), so the 100 point gain in 3dmark 03 form the shaders from the r360 core doesnt really matter as u can get the r50 cores flying

that's probably water cool.

On air cool, R350 core don't o/c that well.

With Watercooling your card will obviously overclock a fair bit better than it would with air-cooling, although how well your card does is still partially luck of the draw.

I know of some people whose 9800 cards can't clear 420 MHz on the core with watercooling, and others who have made it into the upper 490's without a voltage modification, and the same cooling. I'd say that ~465 MHz is about average with good water.

The rare card gets to 500+ MHz on the core using a VGA silencer, and stock voltages, but such things are pretty random; very few-and-far between (not to mention that often the reliability of such reports is questionable... :-/).

Basically, you'll know how well your new card will do, once it's done it for you :).

Back