• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Softmod problems X800 says 520/560 but only 12 pipes? :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soundfx4

I tried flashing using the gigabyte tool and the core/mem speeds bumped up to x800 xt speeds, but ATI tool says there are still only 12 pipes being used. My vid card is a saphire x800 pro Non vivo. Anyone know what might be going on?

you said it, NON vivo. Which means it was laser cut to only have 12 pipes. Unless you do a hardware modification to the card to get around the laser cutting you will never be able to get 16 pipes. All flashing did was change your default clock/mem speed settings.

DocGiggs said:
you said it, NON vivo. Which means it was laser cut to only have 12 pipes. Unless you do a hardware modification to the card to get around the laser cutting you will never be able to get 16 pipes. All flashing did was change your default clock/mem speed settings.

no way, how can that possibly have ANYTHING to do with it!!!! That doesn't even make any since!! Someone please explain what the f**k vivo has to do with this?!?!?! I am OUTRAGED!! I specifically bought the Powercolor ATI pro because I knew it would flash to the XT version! :mad: :mad: :mad: :temper: :bang head :bang head

soundfx4 said:
what the f**k vivo has to do with this?!?!?! I am OUTRAGED!! I specifically bought the Powercolor ATI pro because I knew it would flash to the XT version! :mad: :mad: :mad: :temper: :bang head :bang head

Sadly, I thought Vrykrl made it peticularly that non-vivos will not softmod, not even with a hard mod. Lemme find the link to his thread

Non-VIVOS also lack the rage theature chip on the reverse of the card.

And yes, the converted VIVO x800pro's do perform the same as a genuine x800xt after this conversion, as they are essentialy an x800xt with the 'wrong' bios in them! Everyone I know (inc. myself) who has done this flash using the method above has gained a minimum of 1000 3dmrk03 onions at x800pro stock speeds, with this increasing to identical x800xt performance when flashed to the full xt bios and clocks (highest pro-xt conversion 3dmrk03 score Iv seen in person is 15,389 - tho he was using a waterblock and pelt on the gpu).
Non-vivo pro's perform almost as well as the real thing when flashed, but due to the fact they have the slower 2.0ns samsung ram on them some people have found they perform better as 16pipe pros.

Powercolor and Connect3d flawless at the moment

Sapphire and GeCube are hit and miss

NOTE - ALL the cards & manufacturers I have dealt with and havce recomended ARE VIVO x800PRO's - NOT standard ones.

I personally am using a standard Powercolor x800pro NON VIVO - but i got lucky and the card I recieved was a full vivo xt, even tho its badged as a standard x800pro.
Powercolor and Connect3d I have modded with NO Failures so far
Sapphire is roughly 50/50 chance
GeCube is roughly 1 in 5 chance of success

(All Taken from Vrykrl's sticky located on the first page HERE )

Only the VIVOs can softmod with *any* repeated results because the XT IS a VIVO. You do not have the XT PCB or core because yours is not a vivo. Im really sorry to hear your luck, but sadly no non-vivo can softmod.

VIVO / XT PCB
175116.jpg

Non-VIVO
card1.jpg

Last edited:
x800 VIVO cores are essentially cards that were made for XT PE speeds and pipelines, but for some reason did not pass ATI's own guidelines. Therefore, these cards were castrated and underclocked to safer levels, much like how 9500 and 9700 Pros were the same PCB. The x800's, however, are more equivalent to the 9600 Pro, as these do not share a common PCB with their upper-tier brother the XT PE. One thing that should be said, however, is that the VIVO - > XT mod has many more failures than successes, so take joy in the fact that you're not stuck with a $400 paperweight.

deception``

OMG...I can't believe this, what am I supposed to do with my card now? zipzoomfly won't refund because it was a "special order" item, and I know I can't get 410 for it anywhere. :( I need some suggestions please :cry:

Just flash it to a very fast PRO bios and be happy. Your card is every bit as fast as my own. I see no reason to be upset over a $410 card that will OC and score damn close to an XT.

Sentential said:
Just flash it to a very fast PRO bios and be happy. Your card is every bit as fast as my own. I see no reason to be upset over a $410 card that will OC and score damn close to an XT.

Actually in doom 3 (just one example) the XT PE gets around 70 fps where as the Pro gets only around 40. In fact, there are parts when it even chops up. I really wanted a 6800 ultra because of the dual DVI's, but I got impatient, and when I found out that I could flash my card to an XT PE (which it turns out I got the wrong damn card) I decided to jump at the opertunity to get a 600 dollar card for 410 bucks. It is a good card, but I wasn't buying it expecting an X800 pro, I was buying expecting an X800 XT PE. That is why I am upset. And to think, if I only payed 25 dollars more for the vivo edition, I wouldn't be whining here today... :(

A local computer place here has the OUT OF STOCK everywhere evga 6800 Ultra with DUal DVI for 600. I can get it online for 500 but how long will I have to wait? And is it worth the 100 bucks? Maybe I should get this card? Or maybe I should just get an X800 pro vivo this time. What do you all think?

If you want a 6800, go for the GT. Most are overclockable to Ultra speeds, and the eVGA even comes with Doom and Far Cry free. Personally, I'd say keep your current card but if you want NVIDIA the GT's the only way to go.

deception``

deception`` said:
If you want a 6800, go for the GT. Most are overclockable to Ultra speeds, and the eVGA even comes with Doom and Far Cry free. Personally, I'd say keep your current card but if you want NVIDIA the GT's the only way to go.

deception``

I don't know if I want to chance another cheaper card to more expensive card thing. I tend to have very bad luck with this stuff. I have gone through 3 different computers that were appearently very overclockable. NONE of them would overclock. So after that I got this card, and I screwed up this time by purchasing the wrong card! If I get a GT, with my luck, I probably won't be able to get it past ultra speeds, or even equalivent speeds.

Patience and research are what you need to learn. A little time and forum searching can tell you almost everything you need to know. For example, I'm sure you were quick to jump on that K8N-E, but you (like many others) now know that that particular ASUS board is not very overclockable. Furthermore, it's been no secret that the Pro VIVO's are the only XT PE moddable cards. I hope that in the future you exhibit better patience before you buy. It's very true that overclocking does include some luck, but proper preparation can help to reduce your susceptibility to such adverse results.

deception``

deception`` said:
Patience and research are what you need to learn
.deception``
Exactally.... I would just stick with the card you have now. It by no means is a ****ty card just cuz it wont softmod.

deception`` said:
I'm sure you were quick to jump on that K8N-E

deception``

I hate to tell you this, but I did a lot of research before I bought that board, as I do with EVERYTHING I buy. I must have looked at 30 different boards, and gone through all the board manufactures I could find, and this was the best board for me. I told you it is my luck, and I am very very upset about what you said about me jumping on things.

edit

every time I read over that post it makes me even more mad. I'm sorry but you really upset me with that assumption of yours.

Last edited:
No offense, but had you researched MORE, you would've found plenty of threads on this forum and others stating that a non-VIVO x800 is unmoddable. This is not something to be taken personally, though, as even the best of us have bad luck/experiences from time to time. Even the most seasoned of enthusiasts need to be reminded that patience is a virtue found even in the computing world.

-EDIT- The K8N-E is not a bad boad, but it offers absolutely nothing new or different than any of the other NF3 boards, especially compared to newer entrants such as the DFI UT. Therefore, I fail to realize how the purchase of a K8N-E was the result of hours of research based on 30 boards (especially since I doubt there are even 30 different A64 motherboards available today). Furthermore, I assumed you'd be interested in overclocking your A64 in the same manner that you are your x800, and the K8N-E is far from overclocker friendly. Hence, I doubt the K8N-E is even suited for the overclocker such as yourself. ASUS makes terrific intel mobos, but their AMD releases always tend to be somewhat lackluster. The K8N-E is not terrible mobo, but it is nothing spectacular, either. It's simply a vanilla NF3 mobo, much like the A7N8X-E. Like I said before, patience and research would have found you not only a better board, but one that is probably cheaper or around the same price, such as the EpoX 8KDA3+/8KDA3j or the DFI Lanparty UT.

deception``

Last edited:
deception`` said:
No offense, but had you researched MORE, you would've found plenty of threads on this forum and others stating that a non-VIVO x800 is unmoddable. This is not something to be taken personally, though, as even the best of us have bad luck/experiences from time to time. Even the most seasoned of enthusiasts need to be reminded that patience is a virtue found even in the computing world.

-EDIT- The K8N-E is not a bad boad, but it offers absolutely nothing new or different than any of the other NF3 boards, especially compared to newer entrants such as the DFI UT. Therefore, I fail to realize how the purchase of a K8N-E was the result of hours of research based on 30 boards (especially since I doubt there are even 30 different A64 motherboards available today). Furthermore, I assumed you'd be interested in overclocking your A64 in the same manner that you are your x800, and the K8N-E is far from overclocker friendly. Hence, I doubt the K8N-E is even suited for the overclocker such as yourself. ASUS makes terrific intel mobos, but their AMD releases always tend to be somewhat lackluster. The K8N-E is not terrible mobo, but it is nothing spectacular, either. It's simply a vanilla NF3 mobo, much like the A7N8X-E. Like I said before, patience and research would have found you not only a better board, but one that is probably cheaper or around the same price, such as the EpoX 8KDA3+/8KDA3j or the DFI Lanparty UT.

deception``

Actually that board WAS the result of hours of searching, I have a witness to that (his name here is megamaku, joined after I showed him ocforums). I looked at socket 754 vs 939, I debated on the nforce or the via. And in the end I decided on the K8N-E. I should probably add that the DFI Lan Party board you are refering to wasn't even out by the time I made a decision. I know because the witness to my hours of research bought that board just about two weeks ago when it started shipping. As far as the X800 goes, I did jump on it, and that was my own f**king fault, but I usually don't do that. I am a very impatient person, but past incidents have taught me to search before I buy.

Come now, your system is FAR better than mine(in games). What do you care if you get 100fps in a game where a faster card would get 120? Can YOU tell the difference between them? I personaly cannot justify spending over $200 on ANY pc part, mainly because they lose value so quickly. Better to get a $200 card every 2 years than a $400 card every 4, eh?

Ohh and btw, I did not know that regular X800's could not be modded, I thought there was a hard mod for them? Did Ati "fix" that?

Back